[SOLVED] Gpu running at 30% usage in league of legends?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I just purchased a 980ti (buy what you can get atm an all that) i replaced all the thermal paste blew all the dust out, looks like a pretty unused card to be honest now. But in benchmarking etc it hits 100% usage no problems, when i go into a less demanding game e.g league of legends im getting around 130fps on 1440p (not bad but i was expecting 200+ which i know this card is capable of) ive got windows on performance mode, and also got it set in nvidia control panel. Drivers are up to date. Im pairing it with a r5 2600, so not a cpu bottleneck at all as that is around 19% usage as well. Im just wondering is there something else im missing settings wise?

There is no thermal throttle either in league the gpu sits at around 60 degrees C in other games it gets to around 83 but only at around 80=90% usage

Like its fine and playable, but its annoying when you know there's extra performance just sitting there.

TIA

Solution
The slow ram hampers performance in EVERY game. Faster RAM of 3200 will certainly result in better fps in all games.

The new userbenchmark still shows 54 GB of free space, don't know where you saw 100...

The low GPU usage for LoL is to be expected. The game does not need to push hard the GPU so it stays at low usage percentage. My usage in LoL does not go above 40% at lower clock speeds. There is no need to go faster.

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Run this and post a link to the results from what I have seen online you should indeed be around 200FPS.
[/QUO

I couldnt find a way to actually post a link of the results but I just copied the results.

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - 69.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980-Ti - 82%
SSD: WD Blue SN550 NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 144.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2017) - 98.7%
RAM: Micron 4ATF51264AZ-2G3B1 4ATF51264AZ-2G3B1 4ATF51264AZ-2G6E1 4ATF51264AZ-2G3B1 16GB - 70.5%
MBD: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37)

Jun 27, 2021
You have very high background CPU usage which reduces the accuracy of your benchmark. Please could you close everything you are not actively using on your PC and re-test?

There are multiple things that I see in the results.

• High background CPU usage. As suggested, close every other program and run the benchmark again, providing link. If there isn't anything else then you might have a malware, so check for malware/virus.
  • Slow RAM for Ryzen. They love fast RAM, and for second gen you should go for 3200MHz instead of the almost base 2400.
  • Too much RAM being utilised. That is most probably from the many other things being open at the same time.
  • Your m.2 is almost full and that hampers the performance a lot in SSDs. You need to free space by moving some things to the other drive.
  • Something is interfering with the bench and does not let the SSD finish all the tests needed. A program that is also open might have conflicts.
Also, do you have latest chipset, BIOS and windows updates installed?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
His issue is not the 30% usage, it's the underperforming, which is to be expected with low speed RAM.
Okay so i closed everything and these where the new results https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47194541

To your other questions, there is 100gb still left on the M.2 would this cause an issue yeah? if so i have got 5 240gb ssds ready to go in just waiting for a split 5 power to arrive. The RAM i had faster RAM but when i got this pretty much second hand system, i found some 16gb RAM at work which is just the base speeds, and i am planning for this to be my next upgrade. Would this cause an issue in LoL? If so why? in other games its fine for example ive been playing back 4 blood and i get 80-90fps maxed out on 1440p, the ram goes to 60% usage but my gpu is always at 100% so what would cause it to do this in a less demanding game?

Something still conflicted with the M.2 when i get these SSDs put in i am going to do a fresh install of windows anyways,

Windows is completely up to date besides the windows 11 update. and no the bios chipset isnt completely upto date maybe ill give that a go.

But again i just dont understand why its fine in other games, just not league.

The slow ram hampers performance in EVERY game. Faster RAM of 3200 will certainly result in better fps in all games.

The new userbenchmark still shows 54 GB of free space, don't know where you saw 100...

The low GPU usage for LoL is to be expected. The game does not need to push hard the GPU so it stays at low usage percentage. My usage in LoL does not go above 40% at lower clock speeds. There is no need to go faster.

Solution
I just purchased a 980ti (buy what you can get atm an all that) i replaced all the thermal paste blew all the dust out, looks like a pretty unused card to be honest now. But in benchmarking etc it hits 100% usage no problems, when i go into a less demanding game e.g league of legends im getting around 130fps on 1440p (not bad but i was expecting 200+ which i know this card is capable of) ive got windows on performance mode, and also got it set in nvidia control panel. Drivers are up to date. Im pairing it with a r5 2600, so not a cpu bottleneck at all as that is around 19% usage as well. Im just wondering is there something else im missing settings wise?

There is no thermal throttle either in league the gpu sits at around 60 degrees C in other games it gets to around 83 but only at around 80=90% usage

Like its fine and playable, but its annoying when you know there's extra performance just sitting there.

TIA
League of Legends is not very multi-threaded. It relies on 1-2 cores. So, it will be limited to the speed of those cores. The Ryzen 5 2600 is a capable CPU for just about anything, but League of Legends is limited by the IPC (instructions per cycle) of 1-2 cores of the CPU. The Ryzen 5 2600 is not going to give you over 200fps throughout the entire game. You are probably seeing high fps at the beginning of the match and then it will taper off to where the CPU is capable of performing (probably somewhere in the mid 100s.) Everything sounds normal to me.