[SOLVED] GPU running at 80 c and at 50% usage

Solution
I haven't cleaned my pc in about one and a half years.

That may very well be the reason why your GPU is running so hot. Dust is great at holding in heat because it clogs heatsinks and in the case of blower style cards like the one you have it can clog air pathways

I highly recommend you get a can of compressed air, take your computer outside and blow it out thoroughly including the video card. If you have a dust filter on your case for air intake fans make sure to blow that out too.

This will allow your computer to run a lot cooler in general and might fix your GPU heat issue.

Edit - I recommend reading this thread for how to clean out your video card with some compressed air

If that doesn't fix it come back and tell...

Furzumz

Reputable
That card has a "max temp" of 94c, so 80c is safe but 80c at just 50% usage sounds a little warm for just 50% usage.

If its a founders edition I'm assuming its a single fan blower style card which naturally like to to run hotter but even then that sounds odd.

• When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your case and video card with a can of compressed air?
  • How many case fans do you have?
  • How long have you had this card for and was it used by anyone else before you got it?
If the card has been in use for some years its possible you might need to apply some new thermal paste. ~4 years is about when most thermal paste starts drying out and that card was released in 2016 so could be time for some new paste

Last edited:

kevinpeng789

Commendable
Dec 23, 2018
I haven't cleaned my pc in about one and a half years. I have 4 case fans. I've had my card since 2017, but I had to rma it in 2018 because it broke. I received another card in 2019, but on the card, it says refurbished, so I'm not sure if it was the original card or not.

Furzumz

Reputable
I haven't cleaned my pc in about one and a half years.

That may very well be the reason why your GPU is running so hot. Dust is great at holding in heat because it clogs heatsinks and in the case of blower style cards like the one you have it can clog air pathways

I highly recommend you get a can of compressed air, take your computer outside and blow it out thoroughly including the video card. If you have a dust filter on your case for air intake fans make sure to blow that out too.

This will allow your computer to run a lot cooler in general and might fix your GPU heat issue.

Edit - I recommend reading this thread for how to clean out your video card with some compressed air

If that doesn't fix it come back and tell us and we can have you try some other things.

Solution