Question Gpu shows a static image of the desktop with horizontal lines

frogpuppy

Commendable
Sep 3, 2019
Today I launched my pc after around 3 months of not using it and everything was fine for like an hour.
After that I updated the gpu drivers using nvidia geforce experience, and after completing the installation there was a missing portion in the middle and lower side of the screen when the pc is on 4k120 mode. It was fine on 4k60 but when I switch to 4k120 it shows the same missing parts.

It stayed that way for 2 minutes then suddenly the pc froze and showed the same freezed image (beloweven after restarting and turning the pc completely off and on (plugged out the power supply cable)
I tried taking out the gpu then deleting the drivers from the device manager then put the gpu again but it was fine for like 10 seconds after getting into the desktop screen then the same frozen screen showed up again.
The pc works fine when I take off the gpu and use the integrated gpu (i7 10700) but the problem comes back if I put the gpu again.

Btw it only starts after reaching the desktop screen (meaning that the boot up and bios screens are fine)
https://i.ibb.co/x8y4DtM/20220715-214014.jpg

Is the gpu dead now?
I'm planning to do a clean installation of the drivers after using ddu and try again. Is there any other suggestions on what should I do?

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Please state your full specs (incl. monitor) :)
If the GPU is working fine on 4K @ 60Hz and is giving correct output before you reach the desktop when using 4K @ 120Hz I would suspect driver related issues or a monitor that can't output 4K @ 120Hz.

Reactions: frogpuppy

frogpuppy

Commendable
Sep 3, 2019
Please state your full specs (incl. monitor) :)
If the GPU is working fine on 4K @ 60Hz and is giving correct output before you reach the desktop when using 4K @ 120Hz I would suspect driver related issues or a monitor that can't output 4K @ 120Hz.

Sorry for not doing that earlier. The thing is there is no way to ensure whether it's working fine with 4k60 now since I can't be sure if the resolution is resetted or not

10700k, 32GB 3200, Samsung 970, corsair 850w, Sony x90j tv

frogpuppy

Commendable
Sep 3, 2019
Is your tv the Sony XR90J? And 4k@120Hz was working before with this tv?

Yes it's.

I used ddu to remove the drivers. After removing the drivers and plugging the gpu, it works fine.
It works fine until I install the drivers again then it goes back to weird lines and complete freezing.

frogpuppy

Commendable
Sep 3, 2019
Could you confirm when no drivers are loaded that the output is 4K@120Hz?

I'm using an old driver now 456.71 and the gpu seems to be working fine. Tried gaming for an hour on full load (almost 100% the entire time on 4k120hz) and no problem happened.
I think for some reason the gpu is not working properly on the latest versions of drivers (tried the last two versions of drivers and they seems to be having the same problem).
I'll try installing April drivers which were working fine previously and see.

Update: I guess the installation of any new gpu drivers gets interved every time causing this problem even after disabling Microsoft security and Internet.

Update 2: I was able to update from safe mode so I guess the problem was with installing the drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ötzi