Question GPU suddenly stopped working (EVGA RTX 2080Ti Black)

Aug 21, 2023
I was gaming perfectly fine yesterday with absolutely no issues. Today I booted on my PC and my GPU flashes it's LEDs on then instantly turns off, though the fans remain spinning. It will not display anything. I have tried putting it into two separate PC builds with the same results. In both PCs all the parts are running fine and will boot without the GPU, except for my Ryzen build which does not have integrated graphics.

Edit:
I'd also like to mention that it has been working properly for 3 years up until this morning. And here's the specs
Specs
GPU: RTX 2080Ti
CPU: R9 2900x
PSU: Corsair RM750
RAM: 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance @3200MHz
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023
Seems pretty definitive for a dead GPU to me.
Even if it gave zero warning signs? It has performed properly for 3 years straight and the next moment I turn it on, it won’t boot up. What could have possibly happened from the moment my PC was powered off to when it stopped working?

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
Even if it gave zero warning signs?
There's only one part that has a warning sign of death and that is HDD and SSD through SMART data. Beyond that, always expect things to die quietly in the night, or violently in front of your eyes as you do your deadline work.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
GPUs do sometimes give warning signs! For example, artifacting can be a signal of its demise.

But quite frequently, of course, GPUs can die without any advance warning. The best way to know for sure would be to test it in another PC or test another GPU in this PC.

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
GPUs do sometimes give warning signs! For example, artifacting can be a signal of its demise.

But quite frequently, of course, GPUs can die without any advance warning. The best way to know for sure would be to test it in another PC or test another GPU in this PC.
I mean something that would resemble Idiot Light in a car. You could still use a HDD or SSD when the SMART warning goes off (but yes most SSD nowadays just lock itself into read-only mode to save itself), but you really cant use a GPU when it artifacts a <Mod Edit> ton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2023
There's only one part that has a warning sign of death and that is HDD and SSD through SMART data. Beyond that, always expect things to die quietly in the night, or violently in front of your eyes as you do your deadline work.
It really was the absolute worst timing too. I just started school on Monday and 90% of class work is online.