gpu temperature gets to 81c

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
that is when im pc gaming for a long time im pretty sure that is the hottest its ever been is that a safe temp? i have a gtx 1080 that thing is a beast i love it.

well, coz u're using it hard i think
my guess is that u OC it perhaps? if u don't want the temp to go crazy, either use silent mode instead of gaming mode, get a case with better airflow, an extra fan, a water cooler, or lower your setting to lessen the burden :D

not using OC wouldn't give u any harm since your VGA is already pretty amazing :D

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
its a prebuilt water cooled gaming pc. yeah i know custom build is the best i plan on building a gaming pc in the future. i been pc gaming for over a year, how do i know if im over clocking? can over clocking damage the pc? i dont wanna do that.

Coz I'm an oracle ( jk I know coz Nvidia carf are designed to be cooler and less power consuming than amd, I myself had a gt 630, and it never reach 60 celcius coz I never oc it)
From what I know, Overclocking will shorten the lifespan, how much will it take variates, also Overclocking will generate more heat, since I've forcing the hardware to work harder

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
The only thing that kills pc parts is heat. Now, if you overclock things you produce more heat, which if you have a good cooling system isn't an issue. So , overclock doesn't damage your pc, heat does.

overclock -> more heat ->damage just like what slyverine said
that's why i said that the damage depends on how good is your cooler, if it's good enough then the damage should be little to none

extreme pcgamer

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
its a liquid cooled ibuypower gaming pc its really nice for a prebuilt. one fan in the back and 2 under the graphics card im not sure about the front. is this good enough or should i have someone add another fan for me?

i never use liquid cooler, but if u say u got 81 celcius even with all that cooler that mean its still not enough, either u add some more, get better cooler, or don't OC at all

Have you looked to see what GTX 1080 is used? The CPU may be watercooled, but the GPU might not be. The reference designed GTX 1080's are meant to run at 81C. If you lower the clocks, they'll just lower the fan rate and still hit ~81C.

If that is on a water block and hitting 81C, then it may not be the greatest water cooling system.

Carnaxus

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
iBuyPower computers don't come with GPU liquid cooling normally. @constantine_99, he specifically said that the GPU, the GTX 1080, is hitting 81 degrees, and that the CPU is liquid cooled. You're slightly confusing the two.