[SOLVED] GPU temperature goes through roof

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello,

I have a problem here , whenever I pause my game the temperature of my GPU reaches 84c-85c and the fan speed goes all the way up to 96 % . While I am playing the game , however, the temperature never goes beyond 59c . I am playing Wolfenstein The New Colossus at 1440p . Is it a bug or something or is there a problem with my hardware?

GPU: RTX 3070
Mobo : Asus H610M-A
Ram : 32gb 3200mhz

Solution
It could be possible that in menus, the game is uncapped in terms of frame rate, which will happily consume all of the GPU cycles.

If this is the only game that has this behavior and every other game or 3D application seems to run just fine, it's a problem with the game. You could set an FPS cap in the NVIDIA control panel for just that game and see if it fixes it.
It could be possible that in menus, the game is uncapped in terms of frame rate, which will happily consume all of the GPU cycles.

If this is the only game that has this behavior and every other game or 3D application seems to run just fine, it's a problem with the game. You could set an FPS cap in the NVIDIA control panel for just that game and see if it fixes it.

Reactions: Samuel-212
Solution
Feb 13, 2023
83C on the core is when boost begins to drop off, 89C is throttle temp, 95C is when it will throttle to the lowest performance state, and 98C is the emergency overtemp shutdown.
85C is acceptable, but did u tried to undervolt? Also use msi afterbuner to adjust your fans.

EDIT, The 3000 series run hot 80-89c is still fine but past that it will shut down. You can under-volt it

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023

I can't believe it ! setting an FPS cap in the NVIDIA control panel did solve the problem . However, when windows turned off my display, according to the power plan I have set , the problem resurfaced. I was sitting at my computer and during the short duration when windows power manager turned off my monitor the GPU usage peaked at 100% , power target increased a little, and things got really ugly again . I haven't tested any other games , I have assembled the rig recently .

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Update :
I am writing this for anyone facing the same problem . Turning on Vsync was just as effective as setting an FPS cap . However, when windows turned off the display again , GPU temperature started rising really fast . Turning off windows power plan and enabling Vsync solved the problem .