Gpu Temperature question Gtx 1060 3gb

The Abacus

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Hi
I have a gtx 1060 3gb zotac
When I am playing games (mostly PubG atm) I have msi afterburner up and the thermals are pinned at 83 degrees. Is this normal? I would think yes due to turbo boost but it stays at that temp and throttles then cools enough to boost back but never hits like a stable clock.
I dont know much about turbo boost but I want to check this is ok as it is a new build and dont want anything to break.
Thanks

The GPU is thermal throttling. When it hits 83C the GPU downclocks to prevent it from getting too hot. This is why your clockspeed is not stable. But don't worry, you are not breaking your card. It does this for a safety measure.

What is the model of your GPU? Is it a mini card with one fan? The card may not have the best cooling, so that will lead to higher temps, but it should not thermal throttle with decent airflow in the case. What case do you have? Does your temps drop when you remove the side panel? If they drop a lot then your case is not getting enough airflow.

Have you setup a fan curve? MSI afterburner has a setting where you can increase the fan speed as the card gets hotter. I would push it up to 80% or more when it hits 80C. The drawback is it will increase the sound level of the card.

The Abacus

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Yes it is the mini, a smaller one fan card.
I dont think there is an air flow issue but I will try that (the case is a no name one but it has a large hole vent in the side pannel for the graphics card)
I know it is a safety measure but when I look up the card people get 75-80 degrees. The fan curve I have set to reach 90% at above 70, but it still hits the 83 as it turbos.
Its probably just me but I thought it would find a balance of thermal and performance not just go balls to the wall all the time till it throttles.

The large hole to vent on the side panel should be able to hold a fan. I would install a fan there. I don't know the size of fan without knowing the case. You want to put a fan there and push the air out of the case. That will drop your temps. At 90% fan curve you should not hit the thermal wall even with that little card unless you have bad airflow in your case.

When you say "turbos" are you overclocking the card or are you just talking about the GPU boost from Nvidia? I would run the card at stock settings (apart from the fan curve). If you are overclocking the card, then the cooling cannot keep up with the clockspeed. Is the "turbo" just a one click OC in MSI afterburner? Sorry, I use Precision X and I am not familiar with afterburner, but they both do the same thing so I have never taken the time to look at it.

The Abacus

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
I guess I have bad air flow in my case, I will remove the side pannel and move fans or somthing.
By turbo I ment the gpu boost sorry yeah.

The GPU boost is a one button overclock. It will make your card run hotter. Since you have a "mini" it will make it run hotter than other cards. The mini card is not bad, it just does not cool as well as it is smaller. Better airflow in the case may make a difference. Best way to check is to remove the side panel, if the temp on the card drops a good bit, then you have bad air flow. If it does not, then your card is clocked higher than the cooling system can handle, so turn off the GPU boost.