[SOLVED] GPU Thread Stuck In Device

Jan 26, 2019
Alright, normally I wouldn't do this, but I'm curious and would rather not waste money if I can help it.

About a week or so ago, a friend of mine built a new PC for me and shipped it. When it arrived, a multitude of issues occurred, most fixed, some haven't, but the most noticeable issue is that the GPU was DOA. According to my friend, it was working upon him sending it, but now since it's here it's been artifacting, causing BSoD's, and just being a real pain in the ass.

I would ask if my PCIe is busted, but seeing as it still registers the thing I don't think it's that

Anyways, while working on it to see if I can get it at least working using the motherboard as the primary display (a step in the right direction), I ran into another issue. Thread Stuck In Device.

This honestly wouldn't be that big of a problem, as I've heard that updating or reinstalling the driver would help with that. However, the problem comes when, whenever I try to install a driver with the GPU connected with a 8-pin, it crashes. First few times it was because of a power surge (ASUS shutting it down to prevent it), which evolved into "Thread Stuck In Device Driver"

Due to me not being that rich, I can't really invest in a new PSU, which I'm unsure that is the problem because it's brand new, and I should have enough WATTS to go around. Also the fact that I have the GPU sitting in the PCIe slot as I type this, with the LED's for the SAPPHIRE logo shining bright signalling it's being powered, makes me doubt it's the PSU (unless I'm being an idiot here)

My friend has offered to get me a new GPU, but I don't want him to waste more money on me than he already has, but I'm not gonna decline it. I'm just hoping I can somehow fix this without him spending anymore money on me. At least then I can say I tried. I want to know

1) Can this be fixed
2) If not, will this likely happen again with the new GPU
3) Is it possible the PCIe is damaged (don't need to answer this but I'm a curious kid)

As I heads up for what I have

RX470 4gb
1 DDR3 4GB RAM
Arctic i11 CPU Cooler
120mm Fan (unsure the brand)
ASUS H81M-PLUS Motherboard
Western Digital WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB
SSD
ALLIED 550W Power Supply

So a little update to this-

I have the Radeon RX470 Drivers downloaded, problem is that now whenever I boot up it just crashes. I'm gonna try to find a solution to that, thank you all!!!

Solution
Sounds more like a software issue with the driver.

One thing I would suggest is to clear the motherboard CMOS and reload the default BIOS. I'm not sure on that motherboard, but it probably has 2 jumper pins that you short together (they will be marked as CMOS clear), or if you're lucky you have a push button. Then on restart you select the option to load the default BIOS, might be call optimised BIOS or something. The reason to do this is to make sure there's no bugs stopping the PCIe slots from working properly.

Another thing is the 4GB of RAM, this is nowhere near enough for a PC newer than 10 years, if you want to game you need at least 8GB, ideally 16GB.
Sounds more like a software issue with the driver.

One thing I would suggest is to clear the motherboard CMOS and reload the default BIOS. I'm not sure on that motherboard, but it probably has 2 jumper pins that you short together (they will be marked as CMOS clear), or if you're lucky you have a push button. Then on restart you select the option to load the default BIOS, might be call optimised BIOS or something. The reason to do this is to make sure there's no bugs stopping the PCIe slots from working properly.

Another thing is the 4GB of RAM, this is nowhere near enough for a PC newer than 10 years, if you want to game you need at least 8GB, ideally 16GB.

Solution
Jan 26, 2019

I'm not sure, so don't take my words as the gospel, but I believe when another friend and I were working on it for the first time to get everything to work he did that. My BIOS is the default one from 2015 I believe. I'm nervous to mess with anything involving the BIOS due to my fear of bricking it (like updating it and stuff). Though I'm willing to try if it gets the job done.

Also, the 4GB is temporary. He bought two 4GB's, one ended up being faulty, so he decided to send it as is. He bought two more and they should be arriving... I don't know when honestly

Edit: Yeah, I just read the manual, my other friend did this when we were initially trying to fix the computer