[SOLVED] GPU touching Motherboard Heatsink

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, all,

It looks like my GPU is touching Motherboard Heatsink, MB is Intel DH67CL, old MB. I am not 100% sure if GPU is touching the heatsink, there could be a millimeter gap, I need to take out the case, slide it and check to be sure, but let's say that it is touching, is it gonna be a problem?

Thanks

[url=https://postimg.cc/K1NNwSQS][/URL]

Solution
Simple test. Use a piece of paper, brown paper bag works good as it's slightly thicker stock. Lay it on top of the heatsink, install the gpu. If the paper pulls out with barely slight pull, you obviously have clearance. If the paper doesn't move without a tug and/or uninstalling the gpu reveals dented paper, you are touching.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Simple test. Use a piece of paper, brown paper bag works good as it's slightly thicker stock. Lay it on top of the heatsink, install the gpu. If the paper pulls out with barely slight pull, you obviously have clearance. If the paper doesn't move without a tug and/or uninstalling the gpu reveals dented paper, you are touching.

Reactions: KyaraM and aoc00
Solution

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Not really... only pressure will. The conduction of heat onto the GPU can be a problem but the fan is right there so it would be dispersed rapidly. The only problem it can cause is a mechanical problem (bumping) or if heat is not being loosened out of the computer.

Reactions: aoc00

aoc00

Reputable
Dec 2, 2020

Hi, Karadjgne, simple and effective test. I tried this method without removing the GPU, I did not have time for that. Took a piece of paper, tried to slide it between GPU and MB heatsink and it went in smoothly, so for sure there is a gap, if it was touching the paper would not slide in. That's a relief, system was working just fine for normal tasks with my old 1050ti, I did not want to screw up things by throwing a powerful 1060 and complicate things on hardware side. I'd rather have it working normally with my old GPU. Having said that, Hey, if this system can handle this GPU, and works just fine like before that's fantastic too.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Even if plastic shroud of GPU touches the heatsink, that's not really an issue.
It's south bridge chip under there. It doesn't get very hot.

Hi, SkyNetRising, thank you for confirming that even if the card is touching, I don't have to worry much. :) I would not worry if it was a latest system/hardware. Mine is a spartan one :)
I keep this as backup, if something goes wrong with Laptop, I can do emergency work till I get a replacement, one incident happened recently. My office Lap just died all of a sudden and it took 3 days for my company to issue another one. so yeah, it's important the good OLD desktop should be in working condition. But it serves the purpose for me, the occasional youtube, online purchase, MS Office works etc.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.