Question GPU Tweak II - Useless Bug or it just hates me in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
Hi all,

So this I just something I wanted to write out of myself but also a question just in case someone would have any tips what I could try. So I have a Maximus XI Hero (Non-WiFi version) motherboard with the latest and greatest BIOS, and I've been using GPU Tweak II for pretty much a year with a GTX1080Ti Poseidon before the GPU flat out died. I switched over to an RX5700 XT Strix and had tons of issues with the card but the only interesting part was that GPU Tweak II didn't work and the reported faulting module was Exeio.dll. Since the card was also fishy I returned the card and replaced it with the 2070S Strix, which at first naively I tried in the PCIEX16_2 slot. Apparently in that slot even if it's X16 the card ran only in x8 mode. But before we jump in...
- I resinstalled windows 10 1903 at this point
- Aura was working, GPU Tweak II was working but games were a tad slow (~20FPS when compared to 20hours later using x16 slot)
So I decided I would place the GPU in PCIEX16_1 slot. I tried to do everything just about right and considering GPU Tweak II is like winning the lottery, I removed GPU Tweak II first using Start > System > Apps > GPU T2 > Uninstall. Then ran the GPU T2 Removal tool downloaded from ROG forums. Then ran CCleaner and manually deleted the GT2 folder from C:\Program Files(x86)\ASUS\GPU Tweak II. No reboot up to this point. Then I downloaded DDU booted into safe mode, deleted all the nvidia drivers and chose shut the PC down. I installed the GPU in the first slot, and booted into BIOS to verify and voala, the GPU was running x16 - The 2 NVME SSD's might share bandwidth with the 2nd slot but I don't know and don't even care at this point. So back to windows that was installed 20 hours ago, and is in a state where GT2 was working just fine 30 minutes ago, I installed the nvidia drivers and rebooted the PC. After that Armoury picked up the GPU and Aura sync was fine. I felt relief but then installed GT2... No, I don't get Exeio.dll related fault... What I get is a:

Faulting application name: GPUTweakII.exe, version: 2.0.7.2, time stamp: 0x5d76107f
Faulting module name: TweakInterface.dll, version: 1.1.9.6, time stamp: 0x5d76100e
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0002c6b3
Faulting process id: 0xe88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d576117d18cbf5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII\GPUTweakII.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\GPU TweakII\TweakInterface.dll
Report Id: b4c1d290-bf5a-41e0-8a19-893259e50bc3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Is this piece of trash even real now? Literally nothing has changed in terms of software... The same version of windows 10 Home, the same version of nvidia drivers, the same version of everything just a tiny 40minutes apart and this garbage stopped functioning. No new applications were installed, no updates nada. The only thing that changed is the slot where the GPU is plugged in to where it runs in x16 mode and get more FPS in the games I play (Anthem 86->100, Metro Exodus 67->78, Gears 5 91->100). I spent my last day trying to get this Bug to work but noooo and I just flat out refuse to reinstall a clean windows 10 install for a single piece of Bugware. Without it tho, the GPU is in Gaming mode instead of OC mode and I know no software to turn it back on. ROG forums are well dead, Local ASUS support's have you tried reinstalling windows? question is infuriating so no help there too. Instead of using proper logging to find out what is going on we have a useless windows error reporting to save the day.

With this we arrived to my question part.
- Did anybody see the above error, and could solve it without reinstalling windows? More importantly how :). (I tried older versions of GT2 none of them works, all throws the above error because why wouldn't they...)
- Is there any other way to enable OC mode on Strix cards, other than using a once in a lifetime working software? (If I were to write a software like this and ended up in production, I'd have been loooooooong fired ... I really should switch to ASUS and do nothing for a day and when my software doesn't work I pretend that I'm not at fault and the end user should just start from scratch ;))

Joseph_87

Reputable
Jul 3, 2016
My my that was one of a ride I hope I'll never have to go through again. So in case this might help anyone. If you're using Citrix Workspace App for work related stuff and want to use GPU Tweak II because you have an ASUS GPU, mnake sure you're using the oldest version available for the Citrix app. I went back along the available restore points one by one and GPU Tweak II stopped working when version 19 was installed for Citrix Workspace. I then started to go back with the Citrix versions and 1806 was the oldest release I could download and the only relese that didn't kill GPU Tweak II with the mentioned TweakInterface.dll error...

UnknownAdmin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
If you're using Citrix Workspace App for work related stuff and want to use GPU Tweak II because you have an ASUS GPU, mnake sure you're using the oldest version available for the Citrix app.

After upgrading to Windows 10 64bit, I installed Citrix Workspace 19.11.0.50 (1911). Then I installed ASUS GPU Tweak II V2.1.6.0, but it won't start.

Installed older version of GPU Tweak II, but the same problem.
Starting GPU Tweak II, it didn't come up, but I got two consecutive errors in the Windows event viewer:
  1. Exeio.dll, Version: 1.1.2.6 , 0xc000041d, Offset 0x00005690
  2. Exeio.dll, Version: 1.1.2.6, 0xc0000005, Offset 0x00005690

I found hints related to Citrix Workspace and did the following:
1. uninstalled Citrix Workspace and GPU Tweak II completely
2. first installed GPU Tweak II, started it and modified its settings:
- ZeroDB off (essential for me ! without this, the fans don't start even if > 100 degrees !)
- Automatically start
- Start minimized
- Apply settings each time
- in the monitor window: OSD = OFF
3. second installed Citrix Workspace 19.11.0.50 again
4. shutdown and switched on again my computer

Now GPU Tweak II was minimized in the tray, some seconds later Citrix Workspace started.
All behaves well (without GPU Tweak II ZeroDB off, I could easily get my Radeon ASUS STRIX R7 370 to > 100 degrees by the GPU-Z render test because of the ZeroDB setting and a possible bug in the Radeon BIOS ?!?

In my opinion, it was the disabling of the OSD setting of GPU Tweak II that conflicts with Citrix.
But in my first trial, as I couldn't start GPU Tweak II, I couldn't set OSD=OFF (catch22).
So the solution for me was to remove both, first install GPU Tweak II, set OSD=OFF, then install Citrix Workspace.

Now, I even find Exeio.dll errors in my log:
Exeio.dll, Version: 1.1.3.1, Exception 0xc0000005, Offset 0x00005850
but for "LiveUpdate.exe", the GPU Tweak II checking for new versions.
But this doesn't matter to me, I need only ZeroDB off as there is no other choice, e.g. in Adrenaline, to switch of this crappy feature.

Maybe this helps someone else...

UnknownAdmin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Another point about GPU Tweak II:
in a second system (my gaming system) with a NVIDIA 1070, I had the problem that an upgrade of the NVIDIA driver felt into a black screen and didn't complete nor restarted windows, so I had to switch off the machine.

Some day, I found out: if I do not remove GPU Tweak II before the NVIDIA driver removal (or update which includes a previous removal), the screen gets black and the only solution was to hard switch off - with a broken driver removal.

So if I update a driver (NVIDIA or AMD), I first remove = uninstall GPU Tweak II, then remove the driver.
I ask myself: did the GPU Tweak II developers never update a graphics driver ?

UnknownAdmin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
After changing graphics card from AMD to NVIDIA todaay and reinstallation of ASUS GPU Tweak II (now on Version 2.1.7.1) in Win 10:
Same problem: crash in TweakInterface.dll.
My former hints to disable OSD doesn't work.
Now I found a solution that works for me:
Citrix Workspace could be installed as a non-administrative user.
I tried and it works:
  • ASUS GPU Tweak II runs in my "normal user" that has administrative rights.
  • Citrix Workspace runs under a second non-administrative user
(GPU Tweak doesn't run without admin rights, so I loose nothing).

Status
Not open for further replies.