[SOLVED] GPU underperforms after start-up and waking up from sleep

castedbounds

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
My graphics card seems to underperform and drop 20-30 FPS in all games when I turn on my computer and after it wakes up from sleep. The only thing that fixes it is if I restart.

I have tried re-seating my graphics card and it didn't work.

What should I do?

MOBO: ASUS PRIME A320M-K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: 1 x 4 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB OC
1 SSD (for OS) + 1 HDD, both are SATA III

Last edited:
Solution
For chipset drivers, I would download them from ASUS where they are typically listed and update first. Afterwards, I would jump to the latest UEFI available. No real reason to try each new version one at a time.

castedbounds

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
I forgot to say I've turned off fast boot too and disabled-enabled the graphics card driver. It didn't help.

I've recently changed from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 but it happens in Windows 8.1 too. One of my RAM sticks failed a few weeks ago (it failed due to reasons unrelated to the graphics card issue) but it started happening way before that. My system runs normally and fans are good.

The numbers below are according to MSI Afterburner while running Mass Effect: Andromeda

Before restart:
CPU frequency is always either 1550 MHz or 3100 MHz during gaming.
GPU frequency is 1886 MHz.

After restart:
CPU frequency is the same.
GPU frequency is now 1898 MHz.

That seems odd based on frequencies. Being nearly identical or within margin of error, nothing there seems to be the culprit. I'm guessing you've tried multiple GPU drivers, and retested new RAM modules? Is your UEFI on the lastest version for your board? When you upgraded from 8.1 to Windows 10, was it a fresh install from scratch, or a sort of in-place upgrade?

castedbounds

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
I haven't tried different drivers, just the latest one from Nvidia. I don't have any other RAM modules so I can't test that. My BIOS is not on the latest version cause I'm kinda scared by the process. My Windows installation is fresh and everything is wiped clean.

castedbounds

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
I'm back from updating (that was so scary I've never done that) and wow, it seems to have fixed it! I think I'm even getting a few extra FPS.

I'll see what happens in the next few days. If nothing develops, I'll be sure to mark your answer! Thanks!!

castedbounds

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
So it's been a few days and I think I can safely say case closed.

If anyone else ever has the same problem as me, here are the things I tried; hopefully one of them will work for you too.

• Disable-enable graphics card driver in Device Manager
  • Turn off fast boot in Windows (only available in Windows 8 and above)
  • Turn off fast boot in BIOS (this might've been the one that actually fixed it..idk)
  • Update BIOS