[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade for 4K gaming

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
My system configuration is
CPU: i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/
Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB DDR4
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD: 3TB WD 30EZRX
PC Case: CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold /Monitor :S27B970D + LG CX55
DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

I have recently purchased a new monitor / TV the LG CX , I have noticed that my current RTX 2070 is struggling with titles such as the witcher 3 to offer constistent smooth performance of about 60FPS , I only play rpg games i dont play online FPS so i dont think i am targeting to get the most out of the 120 Hz

Which cuurent GPU's would you reccomend , and is my CPU still good enough for games and does not cause a bottleneck ?

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry just remembered you said LG CX. In that case I would go NVIDIA for the G-Sync support. Unlike many monitors that support both the LG TV’s only support G-Sync or VRR via HDMI 2.1 standard.
Please list your full pc spec. Signatures don’t appear on some devices and other people have them switched off as they can get annoying.

What’s the budget? An upgrade from NVidia would be a 3060Ti or higher and from AMD the 6800 or higher. The trouble at the moment is actually finding any gpu that is in stock and if you do they are way overpriced. It’s a terrible time to upgrade a gpu or cpu right now.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
I have added the system specs to the OP

i would spend what is needed to get my desired system performance which is play 4k games at 60 fps or more , i can spend from 500-2000$ i guess on this upgrade depending on how much of a performance gain i would achieve and would it make my setup more future proof

if you can give me recommendations according to the RRP without the overprice , as i live in the middle east so our stock availability might be different from european or us market

With that budget and with the expectation of 4k/60 fps I would suggest a 3080 from nvidia (or a 3080Ti which has not released yet, but expected to be soon) or a 6800XT from AMD.

You won't need to upgrade anything else, since you game at 4k which is mostly gpu dependent and your PSU is very good.

Ok, any gpu will pair well with your system

As budget allows I would go from NVidia with the 3080. The extra GPU power and 2gb VRAM are definitely worth having. The 3060Ti and 3070 are seeing their 8gb VRAM be limiting at 4k. The 3090 offers horrible performance for the price and its twice the cost of the 3080 and only 10-15% faster but it technically an option. From AMD any of the 6800/6800XT/6900XT would be a great choice. For all these GPU's I recommend reviewing a few reviews/benchmarks yourself. The big issues is all these cards are near impossible to find right now and are way over priced when stock comes in.

As for the suggestion of a 3080Ti we dont have any dates on that card and I would think Q2 or even Q3 this year is more likely given the timelines of the Ti releases of prior generations. Then you have stock issues, the 3080 released in Sep-20 and is still very difficult to find and overpriced. Who knows when stock for a 3080Ti would be readily available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mezoxin
@sizzling I too thought that 3060 and 3080 Ti will be released most probably on W2 but there are already manufacturers that have listed (and removed) them.
For example:
View: https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1342408285350051841?s=20

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...ed-till-february-rtx-3060-12gb-6gb-in-january

That makes me think that they will be released sooner rather than later.
Maybe, I don't actually know and that's the key point we cannot actually say. We saw leaks of 3000 series card information many months before they released. I am just looking at when the 80Ti variants released going back to the 780Ti where they all released 9-12 months after the standard 80.

Reactions: dotas1

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
thanks everyone for your very informative replies , i can wait a little bit for the Ti i guess , so if there is equal benchmarks between a certain AMD or Nvidia gpu model , which would offer a more smoother game play with my current monitor Nvidia Gsync or amd free sync ?

thanks everyone for your very informative replies , i can wait a little bit for the Ti i guess , so if there is equal benchmarks between a certain AMD or Nvidia gpu model , which would offer a more smoother game play with my current monitor Nvidia Gsync or amd free sync ?
Does your monitor officially support G-Sync? What monitor is it?

I don’t see either AMD or NVIDIA offering a smoother experience. NVIDIA brings hardware supported Ray Tracing and better RT performance. It also offers DLSS2.0. I suggest Googling these to find detailed information. However AMD offers more performance for a price when not including Ray Tracing and DLSS2.0. In my view there isn’t a clear winner, just 2 good options with some differences. This is where looking up reviews will help as they can give more detail on this than we can write here.