GPU upgrade psu help

It has enough watts, it's just a question as to whether or not it has the amps. It also appears to have 2 PCI-e connectors which is good.

Look on the sticker attached to it. How many amps does it say on the +12v rail? If it has 30A, you may be ok. Always risky with OEM PSU's though. And the scary part is, if it fries, it may take other parts with it. Not to be all doom and gloom, but if you have the funds, your GPU would thank you if you gave it a new PSU I think.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I Basically have a R9 280 in my case and my CPU is overclocked and pulls almost 180 watts under full load. Together at full load, I get a little unstable with an Earthwatts 650w. Your CPU more than likely not pulling anywhere near that, but you also have 50 watts less to work with. If anything, try it out and if you are unstable, you can always downclock the GPU until you can get another PSU.

ralfie35

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

zmjvp4.jpg

I can't read the Chinese on it, but it kind of looks like it is saying 540W on the +12v rails. If I am reading it right, then it is putting out 45A on the +12v rails.

If that's the case, it has enough watts, amps and connectors. It technically should be ok. It's all a question of whether or not it is actually putting out what the sticker claims, and of what quality the capacitors etc are inside the PSU.

I'd also want to confirm the PCI-e connectors that PSU comes with. It says there are two of them, are they 6+2 type?
14-PCI-E.jpg

Both the 280 and 280x require one 6pin and one 8pin PCI-e connection. There are always adapters, but they aren't ideal.

ralfie35

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

My psu has one 6 pin and one 6+2 pin