[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade RTX or GTX?

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017
Hey people.

So since the new rtx 2060 came out yesterday, I was really considering upgrading my gpu. It hasn't been performing of late and this gpu won't give me the performance I wan't anymore. Nothing is broken it's just old. I want to be able to play most games on 1080p 60-144fps on higher settings then just low. 144 is more desirable for me, but only for the games that matter like shooters. I play games like BO4, Battlefield, Pubg, Fornite AC Odyssey etc. Most recent games in general.

My current build:

CPU: Intel i5-4690k

GPU: Gtx 970

RAM: 16gb

Now for my question. Is it better to upgrade to the RTX 2060 for my case? Or should I buy a GTX 1070.

I also heard that the RTX models will support ''FreeSync'' or Adaptive sync. So maybe that also helps my case.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
It depends on if you are planning to use the abilities of RTX cards like ray-tracing. An RTX 2060 is better than a GTX 1070, and is mostly cheaper. You can also wait for the GTX 11-series. Those cards will be as fast as RTX-20 cards. But don’t have ray-tracing for example. The GTX 11-series will also be cheaper than the RTX 20-series

matszhie

Commendable
Jan 16, 2019
It depends on if you are planning to use the abilities of RTX cards like ray-tracing. An RTX 2060 is better than a GTX 1070, and is mostly cheaper. You can also wait for the GTX 11-series. Those cards will be as fast as RTX-20 cards. But don’t have ray-tracing for example. The GTX 11-series will also be cheaper than the RTX 20-series

Solution

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

Is it already been announced when the GTX 11 series will release?

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

What would you suggest?
I had thoughts about this aswell, and started looking at upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600x, but the costs would be pretty high since because of the mobo and Ram upgrade.

What is your main goal? Higher FPS or better graphics settings at your current FPS?

Higher FPS can be achieved with a cpu upgrade and lowering game settings.

Higher game settings at your current FPS can be achieved with a gpu upgrade.

If you want to achieve both you need to plan to upgrade both. Doesn’t have to be at the same time.

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

Well RN, I can only play games like BO4 AC Odyssey PUBG etc. on Low-med settings with PUBG as the only one hitting a some what steady 60fps. I just want to play on better settings 60fps.

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

Yea most of the time it hit 98-100%. Playing games like fortnite gives me stuttering aswell. Could there be a issue with my cpu in general or is an upgrade needded and what cpu would I need to buy?

thatasianjay

Commendable
Aug 16, 2017

Alright thanks for the help!