Question GPU upgrade

doglatemlive55

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
Recently i´ve been thinking about getting a new GPU but I am not really sure about which one should I get...

my system specs: I7 4790K
Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
16 GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz
Evga Supernova G2 750W
so I thought maybe something like RTX 2060 S/2070 or RX 5700 XT would be a good way to go but as I said I am really not sure...
So what do you guys think? Would you go for the GPU upgrade or rather wait maybe a year or more and then get a whole new PC with the newer generation CPU, DDR4 etc.? I know that if I upgrade the GPU now to one of those mentioned above there might be a bottleneck between the CPU and GPU but would it be that noticable? And then there is this AMD vs NVIDIA thing... I heard that the RX5700 XT has a really bad driver support so not really sure about that either but the price of it keeps me still wanting to buy it...
I use the PC mainly for gaming and I use a 1440p monitor and with the gtx 970 I can only go for like medium settings at best in newer games...

Nvidia is about to announce their new line-up of cards this month or next month, plus AMD just announced their new GPU project set to release at the end of 2020 or early 2021. I'd wait a little longer, unless you find a deal too good to pass up with the current cards.

You may experience a little bit of bottlenecking but since your CPU has 8 threads it won't be too bad with a mid-range card.

doglatemlive55

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
And do you think the new generation of nvidia cards will be still acceptable for that CPU? I mean wouldnt the bottleneck issue get worse? Or maybe when the new line up is out the older cards will get a discount?

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
And do you think the new generation of nvidia cards will be still acceptable for that CPU? I mean wouldnt the bottleneck issue get worse? Or maybe when the new line up is out the older cards will get a discount?

Hey dude. I was kind of in the same spot you are a few months ago. I had an i5 3570 and a GTX 970.

I honestly don't think the gen gpus are worth your money. Unless you can find a 5700xt (not recommended because of AMD's driver issues) or a RTX 2060 for a good price, i think you should get a used gpu. I bought a used GTX 1070 ti for a really good price. I was very happy with it until my i5 started to bottleneck the gpu so i ended up buying a new PC and i only kept my GTX 1070 ti.

Bottom line, If i was in your shoes and wanted to get a new gpu, I would either wait for next gen gpus and upgrade everything or upgrade everything except my gpu now.

doglatemlive55

Honorable
Dec 8, 2015
Well at first i thought maybe the used card would be a way to go but where i live there isnt really much to choose from i was looking for 1070ti/1080/1080ti but there were only a very few cards and all of them without warranty and i came to a conclusion that maybe it would be smarter to put more money into something brand new... yesterday i was doing some more research and i came across this video

View: https://youtu.be/jhudkF3GWgQ

it shows that the processor (i7 4770k) isnt that much of a problem even for an rtx 2080 ti when playing at higher than 1080p which is my case since i have a 1440p monitor so that kind of convinced me to get a 2070 or 2070super...
i think if I'd go for the 2070s it would have some futureproof potential so maybe in a year or two it would still be usable in a brand new system...
or do you still think i should wait for the new gpus and go for a new pc when its out?

Last edited: