[SOLVED] GPU usage 100% when playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasa Gajic

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Hello ,

I have a small concern: I've noticed that when I have the following setup for my graphic card and auto detect settings,which is full high in the game I play (Guild Wars 2) the GPU Tweak Monitor tells me I'm using 100% of my graphic card. What I'm asking is, could this cause damage to my GPU or is this normal?

These are the specs of my PC:
  • ASUS Sabertooth x79 TUF motherboard
  • 8gb 1866 mhz corsair vengeance ram
  • 750 watt PSU
  • ASUS GTX680 Direct CU TOP II graphics card
  • i7 3820 3.6 ghz 10mb cache procesor (corsair water cooling on top of the processor)
  • SanDisk Extreme 256 gb ssd
The thing is though, when I play at max settings which is auto detect, I get a stable FPS in large pvp battles with about 50-100 ppl around 20-30 fps, but i don't get any glitching or something , it runs smoothly. When I play PvE, I get a 80ish fps. So, the glitching is not the issue or FPS in general, it's the stats on the GPU monitor that says that everything on my GPU is used 100% , so i thought that perhaps this could cause damage to my GPU or something?

NOTE: the monitor status indicates spikes going up and down, usually it's because I alt+tab and as soon asi tab out of the game, the monitor for the GPU goes down, if I played it for about an hour it would all be 100% usage. And the temperature goes up to around 80 C.

So, any ideas ?
Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
D
It's normal for a GPU to work at 100%. Just make sure the temperatures are normal. And they are for you.

larkspur

Distinguished
Looks normal. You want to use 100% of your GPU while gaming. If you aren't at 100% at some point while playing the game then you are either playing a much older game, using too low of graphics settings, or your CPU isn't strong enough (you're totally fine). It is completely normal for the GPU usage to bounce around during a game. Your numbers in those screenshots look normal. Your GPU is designed to be used 100%, no worries at all.

D

Deleted member 1416470

It's normal for a GPU to work at 100%. Just make sure the temperatures are normal. And they are for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Sasa Gajic

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Thank you for your answers, i didnt know that GPU should be at 100% , i thought something is wrong lol .. and the temperature goes max 85C but thats when i play for hours having guild wars open in a massive online pvp battle like world vs world.. Thank you for the answers , im glad to know this is normal :)

i try and budget

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

srry this is late response but i never knew that. i just got new monitor and i7 cpu and doing some stream tests. when im on csgo main menu gpu is around 35% but right when i get into the game its goes up to 97% and locks there. it never did that when i had the older specs when i had the older ones it would be around 60%. now when its at 95 temps are around 66 degrees is that good? i get worried cause usage was never this high

larkspur

Distinguished
66c while gaming is fine. Each GPU is a little different and each graphics card can be a little different. But 66c is normal for any GPU these days. I like to run GPU-z in the background and check the max temps occasionally. It helps to remind me when to clean the filters on my case fans :)

i try and budget

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

thanks good to know i should get another fan

Status
Not open for further replies.