Psiethyr1

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Hey guys,

MBoard: Z97 Gaming-3 MSI
CPU: i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
RAM: 16GB DDR3

So, I recently moved house and I set up my PC, however I've found that since moving, certain games, namely Overwatch and PUBG at the moment, lag like crazy if the GPU usage reaches 99%. As you can see in the image, I've set the temp. limit in MSI Afterburner to be the priority, this is due the fact that if I don't, GPU usage goes right down to 60% so no lag, but the GPU temperature goes above 90'C and at which point the fan starts going crazy, as can be seen in the second image
https://imgur.com/a/bsCgKKm

https://imgur.com/a/29Bince

Previously, I've been able to put the temperature control as the priority and play games at 60+fps without any issues. I've tried reseating the card and de-dusting it but to no avail.

Any ideas?

You are using Afterburner the wrong way. By setting Temp Limit you actually ask from the program to throttle the card (drop performance by lowering frequency and power state, hence increasing gpu usage to compensate the load) to maintain lower temps. You should rely on the card's cooling system for this.
Crank up Temp Limit to the max and then go to options and build a custom fan curve to your desired temps and acoustic levels. I ve set mine to hit 100% fan speed above 75 C so it goes like 80% at 70C. That gives me moderate level of noise and good temps.

Psiethyr1

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
I already have that custom fan curve at 100% and it doesn't stop it from reaching 90'C unless I throttle the card maintain lower temps.
The PC is in a similar location to the one previous from an airflow point of view

Did you change/remove anything in your pc during moving? What about ambient temps before and after?
I would try a clean install of gpu drivers, uninstall afterburner and try again. If you are gaming in 60 hz for example, cap your frame rate at 60 fps because otherwise your gpu is working the hardest without any gain. That would drop the temps.

Psiethyr1

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015
Nah, nothing has changed and as far as I can remember no updates installed, it's pretty hot at the moment outside generally but no worse than what it's been lately anyway.
I'll try reinstalling the GPU drivers.