Question GPU Usage is not going above 30% when gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2023
Hello, I bought a prebuilt PC with decent specs. I always thought it was underperforming however, I recently saw my friend's Nvidia 1060 running better than my 2070 Super and realized it is worse than I thought. I have done some research recently and found my GPU usage in game is very low.

I have tried doing different things such as
  • changing the power mode to performance in Windows and Nvidia control panel
  • updating my drivers and chipset (bios was already the most recent)
  • clean installing windows
  • I do not have an XMP setting in bios
  • getting the newest graphics drivers from Geforce experience
When I do benchmarks on my computer the results show that my components are working fine, but it is not giving the FPS that I expect for the games I play. CPU temps stay between 60-67C. I do not know if there is a setting or configuration that is making my usage so low would really appreciate help.
User Benchmark

PC model: Asus G15CS
Specs:
Intel i7-9700F,
RTX 2070 Super
1X16 gb ram 2666mhz

I am not good with computers so I am looking for any advice and would appreciate anything. Thank you!

You've only got a single stick of DRAM which is going to cause all sorts of performance issues. If you have games installed on a HDD that can cause issues depending on the game as well. Based solely on your userbenchmark run it doesn't really seem like there's an issue with the video card. You could try running 3dmark and comparing to similar setups to get more comparison data.

Nov 11, 2023
You've only got a single stick of DRAM which is going to cause all sorts of performance issues. If you have games installed on a HDD that can cause issues depending on the game as well. Based solely on your userbenchmark run it doesn't really seem like there's an issue with the video card. You could try running 3dmark and comparing to similar setups to get more comparison data.
Thanks for the advice, I had two ram sticks that I was not using. (2x8 2666mhz). It seems that I am getting better performance. The ram i installed
I cannot get 2666mhz on my computer because I have no option on my motherboard (asus g15cs) for docp or XMP (asus bios 304). I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to even better ram.
Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks for the advice, I had two ram sticks that I was not using. (2x8 2666mhz). It seems that I am getting better performance. The ram i installed
I cannot get 2666mhz on my computer because I have no option on my motherboard (asus g15cs) for docp or XMP (asus bios 304). I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to even better ram.
Thanks again!!!!!
That CPU officially only supports 2666 so without BIOS options anything faster would most likely be pointless. What is your DRAM running at now? CPU-Z will show real speed if you don't have something else showing it.

Nov 11, 2023
That CPU officially only supports 2666 so without BIOS options anything faster would most likely be pointless. What is your DRAM running at now? CPU-Z will show real speed if you don't have something else showing it.
AUxRuNU.jpg
HwL239M.jpg
uvTMAgF.jpg

Ah yeah it doesn't have higher JEDEC speeds than 2133, and the board seems to be using the middle timing set.

I checked my 3600 and it looks like the only JEDEC speeds on it are also 2133. I think you'd have to look for JEDEC compliant sticks of DRAM if you wanted to get higher speeds. I just checked the Crucial compatibility page for the G15CS and they show both 3200 and 2666 memory running at JEDEC as compatible. That leads me to believe you could get either 2666 or 3200 as long as they're JEDEC compliant and do not require XMP to run such.

Thanks again!!!!!
your wanting ram that runs at 1.2v only

• CT2K16G4DFRA266​

this will work without xmp and give you 32gb which is the max the board supports

Reactions: tris10
Nov 11, 2023
Ah yeah it doesn't have higher JEDEC speeds than 2133, and the board seems to be using the middle timing set.

I checked my 3600 and it looks like the only JEDEC speeds on it are also 2133. I think you'd have to look for JEDEC compliant sticks of DRAM if you wanted to get higher speeds. I just checked the Crucial compatibility page for the G15CS and they show both 3200 and 2666 memory running at JEDEC as compatible. That leads me to believe you could get either 2666 or 3200 as long as they're JEDEC compliant and do not require XMP to run such.
Ahhhh I understand, I was wondering how I would be able to do it that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the rec I might buy that and hope this boosts performance even more!
2 sticks are more superior then 1 due to bandwidth.

32gb works better on games that are intensive as well like builder simulators like city skylines or hogwarts legacy. the extra ram helps

i own a super card also e.g 2060 super lol.

are you using the original cooler ? that came with the Asus G15CS as that can be a limiting factor as your cpu might not boost due to thermal restraints

Nov 11, 2023
2 sticks are more superior then 1 due to bandwidth.

32gb works better on games that are intensive as well like builder simulators like city skylines or hogwarts legacy. the extra ram helps

i own a super card also e.g 2060 super lol.

are you using the original cooler ? that came with the Asus G15CS as that can be a limiting factor as your cpu might not boost due to thermal restraints
I am still using the original cooler. I tried looking at my temps and my cpu seems to be running within 60-67C . Would it still be limiting in this case?

I am still using the original cooler. I tried looking at my temps and my cpu seems to be running within 60-67C . Would it still be limiting in this case?
The picture looks like it's the stock Intel cooler which could certainly be a problem for maximum all core workloads, but gaming should be okay. Those temps are perfectly fine.

60 to 67c is ok not fab is that just sitting idle on desktop or under gaming load ?

you want to really be aiming for idle temp 30-40c and a max temp all core load 65 c this will allow the cpu cores to stay at there max clocks higher for longer.

after some research the case is quite tight for cooler height space

since it looks like it has a 92mm fan at the rear i think a 12mm will just fit

cooler 1 vaccum effect draws air from the front venting and helps to kick it out to the rear 92mm fan thus helping cool all components

or

which is a superior version of the stock but depending on orientation you can have part of the cooling over the ram or vrm components which will help with overall board temps etc.

either 1 will be a much better benefit
also recomend this cleaner and thermal paste over the cpu coolers thermal paste stocked with.

as youll need to remove the previous thermal paste to add a new paste and cooler.

overall it will help improve performance.

removal of old cpu cooler stock like yours

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4vpkfYoII

Jun 2, 2023
Hello, I bought a prebuilt PC with decent specs. I always thought it was underperforming however, I recently saw my friend's Nvidia 1060 running better than my 2070 Super and realized it is worse than I thought. I have done some research recently and found my GPU usage in game is very low.

I have tried doing different things such as
  • changing the power mode to performance in Windows and Nvidia control panel
  • updating my drivers and chipset (bios was already the most recent)
  • clean installing windows
  • I do not have an XMP setting in bios
  • getting the newest graphics drivers from Geforce experience
When I do benchmarks on my computer the results show that my components are working fine, but it is not giving the FPS that I expect for the games I play. CPU temps stay between 60-67C. I do not know if there is a setting or configuration that is making my usage so low would really appreciate help.
User Benchmark

PC model: Asus G15CS
Specs:
Intel i7-9700F,
RTX 2070 Super
1X16 gb ram 2666mhz

I am not good with computers so I am looking for any advice and would appreciate anything. Thank you!
Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card and other components. Outdated drivers can cause performance problems. You can update your drivers by downloading them from the manufacturer's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.