[SOLVED] GPU usage low but FPS low and CPU usage high

Oct 9, 2021
I have been playing Halo Infinite on my ASUS 1050ti which was already experiencing an issues where it had to be restarted each time i turned my PC on to work. My CPU is constantly at 100% and my FPS is between 30 and 40 on minimum graphics, sometimes dropping suddenly to single digits. During gameplay, my total GPU usage is usually under 10% (game usage often at 0 or 0.1%) and the "GPU Engine" column on task manager says "GPU 1 - Copy" instead of "GPU 1 - 3D" if that matters or implies anything. I feel like the game is not utilising my GPU properly, and that if it did, many of my issues would be fixed. I have tried setting PhysX and OpenGL to my GPU instead of Auto in Nvidia settings. My CPU is an AMD FX6300. My GPU is set correctly in the games settings.
Are there any fixes to make the game use my GPU more?

Solution
The CPU is simply too weak to run the game at acceptable frame rates. If you're getting 30-40 on the minimum settings, that's the best the CPU can do.

Remember: the CPU determines the maximum frame rate your system can run the game at. The GPU gives you up to that maximum.
I have been playing Halo Infinite on my ASUS 1050ti which was already experiencing an issues where it had to be restarted each time i turned my PC on to work. My CPU is constantly at 100% and my FPS is between 30 and 40 on minimum graphics, sometimes dropping suddenly to single digits. During gameplay, my total GPU usage is usually under 10% (game usage often at 0 or 0.1%) and the "GPU Engine" column on task manager says "GPU 1 - Copy" instead of "GPU 1 - 3D" if that matters or implies anything. I feel like the game is not utilising my GPU properly, and that if it did, many of my issues would be fixed. I have tried setting PhysX and OpenGL to my GPU instead of Auto in Nvidia settings. My CPU is an AMD FX6300. My GPU is set correctly in the games settings.
Try to minimize unneeded background stuff so the cpu can focus on the game and feeding the gpu.

Nov 22, 2021

Its not your cpu mate, you probably unlocked your max framerate and for some reason on some systems that tanks the cpu.

Switch your max frame rate back to whatever your monitors refreshrate is (60fps for most i think) and set the minimum to the same number.

The CPU is simply too weak to run the game at acceptable frame rates. If you're getting 30-40 on the minimum settings, that's the best the CPU can do.

Remember: the CPU determines the maximum frame rate your system can run the game at. The GPU gives you up to that maximum.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Its not your cpu mate, you probably unlocked your max frame rate and for some reason on some systems that tanks the cpu.

Switch your max frame rate back to whatever your monitors refresh rate is (60fps for most i think) and set the minimum to the same number.
It’s a modern AAA game and a 9 year old cpu that was mediocre at best when it first released. The OP has told us the cpu is stuck at 100%. Nothing surprising about it being cpu limited.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Halo Infinite minimum system requirements
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel i5-4440
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD RX 570 or Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 50 GB available space
Your FX 6300 is a lot slower than that.

Nov 22, 2021
It’s a modern AAA game and a 9 year old cpu that was mediocre at best when it first released. The OP has told us the cpu is stuck at 100%. Nothing surprising about it being cpu limited.
I'm giving him this advice because i had the same issue with my much stronger rig. If it doesnt work, sure its the cpu, but whats the harm in trying

I'm giving him this advice because i had the same issue with my much stronger rig. If it doesnt work, sure its the cpu, but whats the harm in trying
You have gone from categorically saying it was not the cpu to now accepting it might be? I never said there was any harm in trying. It was more about managing to OP’s expectations as it’s not surprising a modern AAA games doesn’t perform well on this cpu.

Reactions: dotas1
Nov 22, 2021
You have gone from categorically saying it was not the cpu to now accepting it might be? I never said there was any harm in trying. It was more about managing to OP’s expectations as it’s not surprising a modern AAA games doesn’t perform well on this cpu.
People can change their mind when given new information, go figure.