Question Gpu usage low causing choppy gameplay in fortnite

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello when I’m having low gpu usage it’s giving me choppy gameplay basically unsmooth games please help been happening for months

Rx 580
Ryzen 5 2600
Oloy 16gb ram 3200
Asus b450m-a micro atx

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Hello I’m having low gpu usage in fortnite and it’s giving me choppy/unsmooth gameplay for months now, please help.

Rx 580
Ryzen 5 2600
Oloy 16 gb ram 3200mzh
Asus b450m-a micro atx

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Nothing is thermal throttling, happens as soon has I start playing it gets smooth for a few secs then back to choppy and i tried reinstalling gpu drivers and cpu is working fine

Is your windows power setting set to high performance? Check in task manager and see if any other background apps are using memory or gpu usage. In bios make sure your memory is running at 3200mhz. What resolution is your monitor? Does it have freesync and if so is it activated?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
It’s on high performance nothing is using up my gpu and cpu ram is set to 3200 1920x 1080 75hz monitor free sync not enabled it’s choppy when my gpu usage is low but when’s it’s high it’s smooth

The low GPU usage is likely the result of the choppy performance, not the other way around. The graphics card may be waiting for the CPU to complete its computations each frame, hence why utilization is low. If you are monitoring the system status with an in-game overlay while playing, you might check to verify what the CPU clock rates are during those periods of low performance. The 2600's cores at stock settings should typically be somewhere around 3.8-3.9GHz while gaming.

And what settings is the game running at? You might try switching between the DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 rendering modes in Fortnite, restarting the game in-between. There's also a "Performance" rendering option that can often provide a notable boost to performance at the expense of visuals, so that might be worth trying. I would expect an RX580 and Ryzen 2600 to do a reasonable job staying above 75fps though.

Reactions: tennis2

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
The low GPU usage is likely the result of the choppy performance, not the other way around. The graphics card may be waiting for the CPU to complete its computations each frame, hence why utilization is low. If you are monitoring the system status with an in-game overlay while playing, you might check to verify what the CPU clock rates are during those periods of low performance. The 2600's cores at stock settings should typically be somewhere around 3.8-3.9GHz while gaming.

And what settings is the game running at? You might try switching between the DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 rendering modes in Fortnite, restarting the game in-between. There's also a "Performance" rendering option that can often provide a notable boost to performance at the expense of visuals, so that might be worth trying. I would expect an RX580 and Ryzen 2600 to do a reasonable job staying above 75fps though.
Yes my game run 75fps stable and I currently play on performance mode

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

Any update?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

My clocks of cpu only stay at 3750mhz never goes to 3800

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
hello i have a rx 580 ryzen 5 2600 16 gb ram oloy asus b450m-a micro atx

75 hz acer monitor 1ms vrb

hello in fortnite my game is really choppy feel like playing on 30 fps that's only when i have it capped but when it's 120 fps cap or higher my game is really smooth been happening for months can't fix please help. I don't have vsync enabled in game

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Run a userbenchmark and post the LINK to the results here.
Make and model of your PSU?
I have ran multiple benchmarks including furmark, and time spy both of the results were very well I compared the results of time spy with another person that had the same specs and the results were almost similar