GPU Usage suddenly halved in game.

isabhattac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
HI all,

I have recently built my gaming pc which has a ryzen 3 1200x and a gtx 1050 ti.

I have noticed something strange happening in games.
Whenever I left my pc on for more than 24 hours it seems to me, my gpu usage is halved in game, making my game have horrible lag spikes. However, whenever I completely shut down and boot up my computer again, the gpu usage is back to normal and I can play normally again.

An example would be, I would usually get 90-120 fps in overwatch on the high preset when my gpu usage is normal in the morning at around 8. After I come back from school at around 3, I open up Overwatch and suddenly I'm getting around 30-60 fps constantly fluctuating on the high preset. Even turning down the graphics has the exact same outcome.

First off, why would you leave a pc on? Should be put to sleep when not in active use.

Sounds like a heat problem somewhere. Could be cpu, gpu, mobo vrm. What’s ambient air temp? Do you have good cse airflow? Monitor temps with something like hwinfo.

Are you running a lot of background processes like a browser or multiple virus/malware scanners?

isabhattac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Yeah I put my computer to sleep when I go to school. I would have to monitor temps, I'll get back to you.

Also I sometimes run Spotify and Chrome in the background. Only ocassionaly though. I do have malwarebytes running too.

isabhattac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Yeah I put my computer to sleep when I go to school. I would have to monitor temps, I'll get back to you.

Also I sometimes run Spotify and Chrome in the background. Only ocassionaly though. I do have malwarebytes running too.

isabhattac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

My idle temps I have checked are 48 degrees Celsius. Is this high?

isabhattac

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I am in a 21C room.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from isabhattac : "Core Clocks Mhz are running at half speed."