Question GPU Utilisation fluctuates in Euro Truck Simulator 2 ?

Jun 7, 2024
Hi! In the recent update to Euro Truck Simulator 2 i noticed that my GPU is being utilised only at around 80-90%. Somtimes it gets to 100% but very rarely tbh. My system is:

Do you guys have any idea what the issue might be? The temps seem fine (70-75c and 90-95c hot spot).
The PSU is 500w but i doubt that's the issue. The problem is that it dips below 60 fps and it's annoying.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus B560
CPU: i5-10400
CPU cooler: Deepcool Gammax 300
GPU: Asus RX 7600 Dual OC
RAM: Corsair 16GB 2666mhz, i don't know the timings
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB x2
PSU: Deepcool DA500w bronze
Chassis: an old office pc case
Monitor: Lenovo ThinkVision T24i-20

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Reactions: Nobaku

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hi! In the recent update in euro truck simulator 2 i noticed that my gpu is being utilised only at around 80-90%. Somtimes it gets to 100% but not always, very rarely tbh. My system is: rx 7600, i5 10400, 16gb 2666. Do you guys have any idea what the issue might be? The temps seem fine (70-75c and 90-95c hot spot). I also have a 500w psu but i doubt that's the issue. The problem is that it dips below 60 fps and it's annoying
Are you using any mods?

When does it dip below 60fps?

What resolution are you playing at?

ETS2 was released more than a decade ago but it has been devloped constantly. The system requirements have moved up as well. It used to be possible to play that game using only integrated graphics but not anymore.
As SCS add more updates and chunks of the European map, the game becomes more fragmented with some areas being outdated and in need of an overhaul, while other areas are modern and full of detail.
Switzerland was recently touched up but for example Scotland i think hasn't been updated in ages.

And then there's the trucks and cargo. A mix of old and new. Over 10+ years these things add up. If you also add mods, then your frame rate can die a painfull death.

Lower details and see how much frames improve.

Close browsers or streaming applications while playing.

Update your GPU drivers.

Complain to SCS that performance has taken a hit. They do try to optimize the game and it is frequently patched.

Jun 7, 2024
And... what is your problem??
Your graphics card should never show 100% utilization or it will be the limiting factor.
Well, how to put it, i know that the gpu should e fully utilised when playing games, right? But my gpu won't, resulting in frames under 60fps

Jun 7, 2024
Are you using any mods?

When does it dip below 60fps?

What resolution are you playing at?

ETS2 was released more than a decade ago but it has been devloped constantly. The system requirements have moved up as well. It used to be possible to play that game using only integrated graphics but not anymore.
As SCS add more updates and chunks of the European map, the game becomes more fragmented with some areas being outdated and in need of an overhaul, while other areas are modern and full of detail.
Switzerland was recently touched up but for example Scotland i think hasn't been updated in ages.

And then there's the trucks and cargo. A mix of old and new. Over 10+ years these things add up. If you also add mods, then your frame rate can die a painfull death.

Lower details and see how much frames improve.

Close browsers or streaming applications while playing.

Update your GPU drivers.

Complain to SCS that performance has taken a hit. They do try to optimize the game and it is frequently patched.
I have my gpu drivers updated, I can't play on lower graphics, it just looks bad. I'm playing on 1080p, the video settings are cranked up. As for mods, i don't use anything. But in some areas it doesn't
limit itself, like using less power or the gpu utilisation won't lower, it happens in the recently updated areas, Germany and Switzerland to be specific.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I have my gpu drivers updated, I can't play on lower graphics, it just looks bad. I'm playing on 1080p, the video settings are cranked up. As for mods, i don't use anything. But in some areas it doesn't do limit itself, like using less power or the gpu utilisation won't lower, it happens in the recently updated areas, Germany and Switzerland to be specific.
Hmm... Your specs are more than enough. It shouldn't be struggling at 1080p.

Is this the only game that you have problems with or are there others?

Jun 7, 2024
Hmm... Your specs are more than enough. It shouldn't be struggling at 1080p.

Is this the only game that you have problems with or are there others?
Yeah, at other games that i play it, doesn't struggle
. I played Crossout today for an hour and it stayed at 99% utilisation the entire time. I played in a demanding area in another country, Paris, France, and it didn't dip below 60fps; even more, the gpu utilisation ocasionally went up to 95%.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2024
I would agree, if all other games perform well, then this is a game issue. When I first played Jedi Survivor it was a complete mess even on my Taichi 6800xt. They have since fixed a lot of those issues and it plays much better (except the stuttery mess of an intro) : )