[SOLVED] GPU warranty declined due to gpu-z saying bios version "UNKNOWN"

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Hey guys, my 6 month old gpu just stopped working in the other day (pc just shut off randomly) and I sent it to the service that issued the warranty and they declined the warranty due to GPU-Z saying bios version unkown. I will attach the image they sent me. Is there anything that could cause gpu-z to say this? I'm going over there tomorrow to argue with them as I never flashed or did anything to this gpu other than using geforce experience to do updates.
image.png

Solution
My guess would be that they installed this card as a secondary card to test and it has failed to the point GPU-Z can't get a full reading from it and the shop is too stupid to realize that. You may have to contact Gigabyte for warranty.
D

Deleted member 362816

The same store where i brought it in for the warranty check (in my country the store gives the warranty).. I'm thinking of sending it to gigabyte directly, tho the bios unknown makes 0 sense, how could that happen? The bios was fine when i bought it

If it was fine when you bought it and it corrupted that could cause the issue. I would advise to try to reflash the correct bios if you feel comfortable. With all the people trying to flash non lhr bios in the past I would assume gigabyte will deny the warranty also.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
If it was fine when you bought it and it corrupted that could cause the issue. I would advise to try to reflash the correct bios if you feel comfortable. With all the people trying to flash non lhr bios in the past I would assume gigabyte will deny the warranty also.
The retailer actually flashed the bios and they say the gpu is working now, tho they are asking me to pay for that and my warranty with them is void in the future... Can it really get randomly corrupted like that?

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Before you sent the card in was it working and just shutting down randomly or under load? Or did it stop the system from posting or booting after the initial shutdown?
It completely stopped the system from booting after the initial shutdown. The peripherals would light up but the case rgb and nothing else worked. After pulling out the gpu everything appeared to be working correctly on the integrated gpu

bignastyid

Titan
My guess would be that they installed this card as a secondary card to test and it has failed to the point GPU-Z can't get a full reading from it and the shop is too stupid to realize that. You may have to contact Gigabyte for warranty.

Solution