[SOLVED] GPU Waterblock - Cooling Performance Toplist

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hey there my fellow cooling fanatics!

Does anyone know if there is a Toplist or Excel Sheet or anything like that comparing multiple different GPU Waterblocks by performance?
No comparison for looks, material, ease of use, cost or anything else.... just RAW PERFORMANCE.
One where someone used the same setup to test multiple different GPU Waterblocks just to see which one gets the lowest TEMP or highest Performance at the same Watertemp and same Pumpspeed.

I searched for something like this for a while but couldnt find anything.
I know its not just about the block... its about watertemp, pumpspeed and so on...

Just would like to know the best block performancewise at a given Watertemp and Pumpspeed.

Is there anything out there?

THANKS!
Mem :)

Solution
You don't really see as many of these in recent years as we did in the early 2000's or late '90s. Most waterblocks perform very close to one another in terms of performance, maybe 1-2C difference which can also be human error around amount of thermal paste, tension applied, etc. This isn't to say there aren't differences or some being better than others because they most likely will have some graphed variables.

Water temp wouldn't necessarily be exactly constant - this would indicate that a block performs exactly the same as another assuming that the die temps remain the same. Ex: you wouldn't want to chill coolant to reach a specific coolant temp for one block, but warm it artificially for another since this alters the thermal...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You don't really see as many of these in recent years as we did in the early 2000's or late '90s. Most waterblocks perform very close to one another in terms of performance, maybe 1-2C difference which can also be human error around amount of thermal paste, tension applied, etc. This isn't to say there aren't differences or some being better than others because they most likely will have some graphed variables.

Water temp wouldn't necessarily be exactly constant - this would indicate that a block performs exactly the same as another assuming that the die temps remain the same. Ex: you wouldn't want to chill coolant to reach a specific coolant temp for one block, but warm it artificially for another since this alters the thermal conduction properties of the coolant.

Pump speed, radiator used, fittings used, tubing/size, and radiator fan speeds should all be constant, yes. Coolant temp is a byproduct of the amount of thermal energy produced and the efficiency of the cooler/block in question.

This also comes down to which GPU and which block is supported. To be honest, a difference of 1-2C isn't enough to drive me to choose a specific GPU model or block over the GPU model that I want to use. When I do a build, I find the GPU models I want and then determine which have blocks that are supported and then narrow down my search.

Solution

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
First of all thanks for the detailed answer!
I understand that there might not be a big difference but i still was very interested to see which one would be the best haha :)

And now that i think of it... yea true.. your point about the watertemp makes sense!
If one block can dissipate the heat from the gpu to the water the water better than the other... the water would be warmer on one....

If you ever plan on making a list/test like this i will be very interested hhaha :)

Thanks again!
Mem