GPU will not work with my PC.

MrDenial

Honorable
Feb 11, 2017
Old GPU: Radeon R7 240. (2GB)

New GPU: Radeon RX 460. (4GB)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 ~4.1Ghz turbo (factory OC)
Motherboard - GA-78LMT-USB3

When I installed it, I immediately noticed that the game I play would crash, it seemed like a driver issue. The screen went black and the PC rebooted. It did this a lot.

So I:
- Updated the drivers and tried beta drivers, as well as backdating: No luck, still the same crash

- Upgraded power supply: My PSU was 350W so I installed a EVGA 500w power supply. It still didn't fix the issue.

- CPU cooling: I noticed my CPU was getting very hot (like 80+) and I was no longer playing at higher settings, in fact I was playing on lower settings than before and I was still getting crashes. I took the heat sink off, cleaned everything in there and put some new paste on and reinstalled. I was getting great temps but sadly the crashes weren't going away.

- Installing the old GPU again: And boom, everything works as it should.

So I'm out of options, do I have a faulty GPU? Is the RX 460 too powerful for the motherboard?

I honestly don't know what to do anymore and nobody has come up with a solution as of yet.

Solution
A video card can't be too powerful for a motherboard, but it may have some glitches with compatibility. Do a BIOS update on the motherboard then try the card again. Contact the card vendor for support also since you already tried a better power supply.

You may have damaged the card by running it on that other power supply, especially if it was a poor quality one.
A video card can't be too powerful for a motherboard, but it may have some glitches with compatibility. Do a BIOS update on the motherboard then try the card again. Contact the card vendor for support also since you already tried a better power supply.

You may have damaged the card by running it on that other power supply, especially if it was a poor quality one.

Solution