[SOLVED] GPU wrong temperature being displayed.

Feb 3, 2020
This is a bit of a doozy and I'm at a loss of what to do so looking for any help here.

Last month while I was on my computer my monitor shut off in my 980ti started smoking inside of my case. Immediately shut off my computer removed it and sauce and burning out around the chip inside the card. I verify that no other components were damaged inside of my computer and threw in my old 970. And noticed immediately it startup idling temperature was 70 Celsius. While doing basic gaming it was popping up into the 80s and 90s. The fans even hitting these temperatures would never turn on. Only to MSI afterburner would the fans ever come on. Keep in mind I never had any fan software installed before this. Believing that there may have been something wrong with my 970 I went ahead and purchased a new graphics card in the meantime. I purchased a 2070 super and on arrival the car is idling temperature was 87 degrees as reported through cpuid and hardware monitor. I verified that both of these cards had regular operating temps when put in a different computer. I spoke with a friend who runs a computer repair shop and he told me that he had seen a problem like this before in that it had to have been my motherboard relaying the wrong voltage to my card to the pcie slot. So I RMAed the board back to gigabyte. It is a z390 aorus Ultra. I just got the board back from gigabyte who says there is absolutely nothing wrong with the board. I am now worried about putting the computer back together because they say there is nothing wrong but anything I put in it I'm afraid we'll get damaged. What is the next course of action? On my end of things I reformatted the hard drive and tried three different graphics cards. The only changes I made to the system before this issue happened was installing an m.2 two days before the graphics card burned out. Is this something that can happen with power supply? I was able to use the computer with on-board video for 2 weeks after the graphics card burnt out before RMAing the board back without any issues.

Solution
GPU idle temps on air should be anywhere from 30-50 and load up to 70. Make sure the mobo bios is up to date. Set everything to default NO overclocking in mobo bios. What are your system specs with PSU?

uppercut4u

Reputable
Mar 22, 2018
GPU idle temps on air should be anywhere from 30-50 and load up to 70. Make sure the mobo bios is up to date. Set everything to default NO overclocking in mobo bios. What are your system specs with PSU?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS