Question GPU

Aug 1, 2022
Why do RTX 3080 TI prices vary so much? Some are 3 times more expensive than others. I know some brands and types have better fans but that does not justify a 3 times higher price.

D

Deleted member 362816

Because there is a glut in the market now and many places/people think they can recoup their money. Do not buy one unless it's at or below MSRP.

Some are 3 times more expensive than others. I know some brands and types have better fans but that does not justify a 3 times higher price.
it's just how it's always been with graphics cards.
some manufacturers use better shrouds and fans, some also use other higher quality components in the card's construction, some have a higher overclock in place, etc.
some are just charging extra for their namesake even.

but these days you will also still see some, mostly 3rd party sellers not directly asociated with any major chain, that are still charging the previous "scalper" prices either trying to recoup the extra they originally put in or just hoping someone will bite that hasn't seen the lower prices available.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
John is right, all these factors come into play with gpus. It is pretty stupid, if you ask me. I always try to buy what's called the "founder's edition" of a gpu. It is basically the vanilla gpu with the recorded base specs. No factory overclock, no bells and whistles, and no second guessing on whether or not it is overpriced compared to others. I also find they are a lot more stable than the custom ones that do vary in price.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
but these days you will also still see some, mostly 3rd party sellers not directly asociated with any major chain, that are still charging the previous "scalper" prices either trying to recoup the extra they originally put in or just hoping someone will bite that hasn't seen the lower prices available.

true. The last time I went to the mall, which is about a week ago.. the store where I buy from had cut their selling prices already. But walking around that floor of the mall, it's a large area with plenty of gpu store.. other store I checked out still has their gpu priced high. Actually, only two stores there has really cut down prices.. (perhaps they have more reliable supplier?) other store in the area still have "gpu crisis" price.

anyway, it's pleasant sight to see store shelves populated again with plenty of gpu. I saw plenty of 30 series cards, and also plenty of 16 series cards. During the gpu crisis, the only ones on display are GT 1030, GT 730, and a few overpriced 1660 super.

Last edited: