News GPUs Are Getting a Lot More Expensive Due to Tariffs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2838871

So your computer has more than a 1TB Nvme m.2 for your operating system and base drive? Buyers add their own storage capacity beyond that as needed.

As for the $3499 price tag, if I subtract the price differential of the 10900kf and 3090 over the CPU and GPU in my PC, the cost is identical to what I paid for my other components.

Yeah... 3x SSDs... 2TB each. Or to answer your question... yeah... a single 2TB drive. Didn't do the math on the rest. My point was just seems a bit pricey for all that hardware and then only include a 1TB SSD... but then again that's why I build my own.

The price tag of building a fab...
But the thing is, we're not talking about a semi-conductor fab. After all, the primary high-tech component is the GPU (or CPU) is not fabbed in China Yet. What we're talking is the PCB assembly for making finished GPU's...that's highly automated too. High speed automated component placement, thermal reflow and cleaning equipment. Oh, and robotic as well as conveyor-ized handling too.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Also sound like the shipping is contribute to issues. Not so much due covid.

Watch manufacturing mobos and gpus in china and taiwan it the fascinating process.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
I don't think much of the NYT--I'll just say this. GPUs currently are on the exempted tariff list, which is why they are not priced with tariffs currently--that exemption is due to expire shortly--which has prompted another NYT "panic" article written prematurely, as usual. There is no reason why this first extension cannot be extended indefinitely. I guess the NYT forgot about that little detail--like it always does when it writes of gloom and doom. I think the general American press today leaves much to be desired in the way of facts and intelligent perspective.

It was an ASUS representative on Facebook that posted the announcement of MSRP hikes (the included quote). That is news that can be stated as factual. Only the speculation of other OEMs doing the same is editorial.

I thought it would happen but for the manufacturer to tell us all that its gonna happen is kinda funny because "tarriffs" dont affect the supply chain of the manuf. They affect the supply chain of the importer. A tarriff hits the pocket of the importer so how does it affect prices where they are being made? Does this mean that graphic cards have a oem that is also the importer so when it hits the states the manuf has to raise prices because of the extra charges they have to pay? Somehow making up what is seen as less profit to their partners. I thought it would happen but the cost of manufacturing stays the same<basically>. Who is paying the increased prices but the consumer, unless the oem now is seeing more direct charges because of the tariff.

The manufacturer sets the MSRP ("Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price") for each region. If the cost structure for a region changes, they can/will adjust that target price. Regarless of MSRP or changes to it, it's always down to retailers what the actual customer price ends up at.

Any MSRP change can have multiple things baked into it and it's impossible for the public to know. (Increase or cut into manufacturer or chain margins.)

<<Removed by moderator>>
We have our own clown politics here in the UK. Thanks, Boris. PC Hardware prices have always been higher here, due to taxes I guess (not complaining, you can't beat a free at the point of service healthcare system in the middle of a pandemic). I imagine prices will only rise with this news though.

Last edited by a moderator:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
That's at least in part the purpose of the tariffs: it helps to equalize the wage gap. I see it the morally right thing too: China is a communist country and as such the labor force is essentially slave labor to them. Wages are artificially held down in order to keep companies coming there, destabilizing manufacturing in the rest of the world in the process.

The article uses horribly flawed logic when it says bringing some of the production onshore isn't a 'panacea'. It quite clearly IS a panacea if it helps control costs by off-setting the impact of the tariffs. And it's a win-win because it brings jobs back; a couple bucks more for a GPU is a fair price to pay if you're the one looking for work. What quite obviously is NOT a panacea is foolishly depending on the largesse of government exemptions.

I also like the idea of re-sourcing to less hostile countries than China: Singapore, Malaysia, even Vietnam. And why not Australia? UK? EU?

The problem is cost. IF the cards are made in USA, they will cost alot more.....Easily 50% more or even double.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
It was an ASUS representative on Facebook that posted the announcement of MSRP hikes (the included quote). That is news that can be stated as factual. Only the speculation of other OEMs doing the same is editorial.
Incorrect. The ASUS quote named four factors for the price increase, one of which was tariffs. The headline altered that quote significantly, not only blaming the entire price increase solely on tariffs, but also implying the increase is global, when tariffs only affect the US, and that all "gpus" will be affected, when not all graphics card makers have raised MSRPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.