Question Grainy screen fix?

Apr 17, 2021
Hey guys. So I've been having this problem since a couple of months and idk whats causing it. There is a kind of static overlay on the screen. Although everything on the display is visible but the static overlay is kind of irritating. Ik the problem is not related to a software issue as I've installed a clean OS a number of times(due to a different reason). I also know the problem is not because of the GPU as I recently changed it and the problem still seems to persist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Apr 17, 2021
So the screen and your cable is fine ?
Cables are probably fine
So the screen and your cable is fine ?

Im pretty sure the screen is fine but I had a particular incident last night. I unplugged the VGA cable from the monitor blow some air in the pins(although they were already clean) and inserted them back in. To my surprise the problem was fixed but unfortunately it came back again after a few hours.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You changed the gpu, but what about the gpu drivers. Did you use DDU through safe mode and reapply the drivers from fresh? Or are you using older drivers from a different gpu, because they seem to work. Windows has generic/nvidia whql drivers that will take priority if the older drivers present an issue.

Also by the resolutions in windows display tabs, is the frequency. If that gets changed to what's not native to the monitor, like setting it to 72Hz when you are on a 60Hz monitor, that's going to really mess with the picture, grainy rss being the least of the issues.

Clean both ends of the cable with some isopropyl alcohol. It's vga, therefore old. If the contacts have suffered any oxidation you'll get issues. Also check the pins in the cable, see if any of them look discolored compared to the rest. Same with the gpu port and/or monitor. If the pin connection is loose, you'll get erratic signal behavior as the pin heats/cools.

Last edited:
Reactions: akshat__
Apr 17, 2021
You changed the gpu, but what about the gpu drivers. Did you use DDU through safe mode and reapply the drivers from fresh? Or are you using older drivers from a different gpu, because they seem to work. Windows has generic/nvidia whql drivers that will take priority if the older drivers present an issue.

Also by the resolutions in windows display tabs, is the frequency. If that gets changed to what's not native to the monitor, like setting it to 72Hz when you are on a 60Hz monitor, that's going to really mess with the picture, grainy rss being the least of the issues.

Clean both ends of the cable with some isopropyl alcohol. It's vga, therefore old. If the contacts have suffered any oxidation you'll get issues. Also check the pins in the cable, see if any of them look discolored compared to the rest. Same with the gpu port and/or monitor. If the pin connection is loose, you'll get erratic signal behavior as the pin heats/cools.
First of all I'm really sorry for replying after an eternity.
Talking about old drivers, thats not the case cause I've reinstalled windows multiple times(due to various other reasons).
Anything else in the PC itself isn't a problem, I know that cause I have a new PC now but the same monitor. Also I've noticed that removing the VGA from the monitor and the gpu and reinserting opposite ends gets rid of the problem for a short while. The cable isnt the problem as I tried a different one and the problem still persists. My guess is the VGA female port of the monitor is at fault.

Apr 17, 2021
First of all I'm really sorry for replying after an eternity.
Talking about old drivers, thats not the case cause I've reinstalled windows multiple times(due to various other reasons).
Anything else in the PC itself isn't a problem, I know that cause I have a new PC now but the same monitor. Also I've noticed that removing the VGA from the monitor and the gpu and reinserting opposite ends gets rid of the problem for a short while. The cable isnt the problem as I tried a different one and the problem still persists. My guess is the VGA female port of the monitor is at fault.
Also , calling it grainy wouldn't be the most perfect way of describing it, its kinda like weird transparent moving artifacts you get on old monitors/displays.
I'll add a photo if I manage to click one.

Apr 17, 2021
Please list your full system specs.
Are all your GPU settings at their defaults? Some very popular videos and forum posts out there tell people to adjust X, Y, Z settings for best gaming, but some of those settings add graininess to the Windows desktop.
Yeah the GPU settings are all at stock.
My specs:
i5-4460(3.2 base/3.4 boost)
16 gb ram(8*2) 1600 mhz..samsung
Asus H81M-CS
gtx 750ti
128 gig kingston SSD
1 TB WD blue HDD

I also have a spare gt 1030 which I dont use atm but the problem persists in the too.

Also, I really don't think this problem has something to do with the GPU/Windows settings. I have a huntch that its a hardware related issue.