Graphene Believed to be Key Toward Low-Power Telecoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Vorador2[/nom]Graphene is shaping up to be the material of the future. There's nothing it can't do.[/citation]
It makes faster chips, lower power chips, can be used in hundreds of medical applications, bomb detectors, gas distilation, better solar cells, and can even fold laundry while doing the dishes. Personally, if they can just get it to do the last 2 I would be happy with it.

Hardly a complete list, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene#Potential_applications

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
OK I officially request no more Graphene stories. I am sick of hearing about graphene. We have been exposed to graphene stories for 15 years or more and to date we have not seen any real product that takes advantage of graphene. Lets just put it on the back burner until this mythical substance is actually used in a commercial product, if such a time ever actually takes place.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
"As most other graphene research projects, this work is in its nascent stages and a commercial production is not in sight yet. "

This is the only part of the story which is real.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
everyone keeps talking about this graphene material and how is supposed to be the miracle material...why don't we see products made out of this stuff?...move it people...people are again, i want to see how good it is before i die

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It'll come, eventually. Remember, we weren't seeing silicon based computers before a few million years of human evolution. Give graphene at least a hundred or two!

Good news for a future research student such as me. I agree we need a first for this material to be on the open market, however, I d believe we should see another 10 years of research in electrical, chemical, mechanical, biological, and physical engineering before such thing becomes practical.

As long as we continue to look at it, we will see the light of day with it...I hope.

Blandge

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]All the talk about graphene and no concrete product/action is worrying me that I'd ever see it.[/citation]
Err Graphene was first isolated in 2004. Companies like Intel and IBM have about a 10 year research period before a technology is productized. So at minimum we're looking at 2014, but we likely won't see volume production until 2018+.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]everyone keeps talking about this graphene material and how is supposed to be the miracle material...why don't we see products made out of this stuff?...move it people...people are again, i want to see how good it is before i die[/citation]

Because of problems that could ensue if they unleash this material in its full 'glory'. They first have to find a way to gimp it so that they can introduce planned obsolescence into the material - which in the long run generates profits (this is how things operate right now).
And forget about getting tens of times more powerful/efficient computers... they will intentionally just raise the bar low from current technology so again more profits could be generated by forcing you to buy 'the latest and the greatest' 12 to 24 months after the first device.

Its pathetic really, we could have used synthetic diamond chips in electronics since 1997, and graphene since at least 2006...

Money is driving us down to a halt because efficiency is the enemy of profits (if they gave us a product that is the apex of our technological capabilities with highest efficiency in mind and best materials available... it would KILL profits... - nevertheless, designing such a high tech device which is also recycable and fully upgradable btw, and durable, is more than possible - just don't expect to see it Capitalism anytime soon).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]Because of problems that could ensue if they unleash this material in its full 'glory'. They first have to find a way to gimp it so that they can introduce planned obsolescence into the material - which in the long run generates profits (this is how things operate right now).And forget about getting tens of times more powerful/efficient computers... they will intentionally just raise the bar low from current technology so again more profits could be generated by forcing you to buy 'the latest and the greatest' 12 to 24 months after the first device.Its pathetic really, we could have used synthetic diamond chips in electronics since 1997, and graphene since at least 2006... Money is driving us down to a halt because efficiency is the enemy of profits (if they gave us a product that is the apex of our technological capabilities with highest efficiency in mind and best materials available... it would KILL profits... - nevertheless, designing such a high tech device which is also recycable and fully upgradable btw, and durable, is more than possible - just don't expect to see it Capitalism anytime soon).[/citation]
Exactly the reason why the USA invented Thorium reactors at Oak Ridge in the 1950's, but then went the Uranium route - firstly it generates ingredients for nuclear weapons, but secondly it creates a whole industry based on the supply of new fuel rods - if they had gone the Thorium route the world would be awash with unlimited clean, free electricity
Just a shame that India and China don't have these hangs ups pandering to the supply contracts of GE, so they are running away with Thorium power station research

Status
Not open for further replies.