Graphic Card crashing, computer won't start

muuko

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hello,

I am having some problems with the computer, and I think it may have something to do with graphic card. Here is what is happening:

1) When the computer starts up, it looks different than usual and the information does not display correctly, as seen here:

IMG_2608.jpg

2) When the computer does start up, within a few minutes the screen will keep flickering to black and gives the message "Your display driver stopped responding and has recovered", this will repeat a few times until I get the blue screen.

3) Now after a few days of this problem, the computer sometimes does turn on but in the wrong resolution, there are strange pixels running across the screen and it won't recognise my second monitor. In fact it doesn't seem to recognise the graphic card at all?

I got new RAM about a month ago and not sure if this is part of the problem, everything was working fine until a few days ago. My computer specs are

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.66 GHz
16 GB RAM
64-bit windows 7
NVIDIA GeForce (not sure the exact model as the computer doesn't seem to recognise it at the moment)

Could anyone give advice to what I can do to solve the issue?

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
well finding out what graphics card you have would help one heck of alot... The only thing i can recommend is to download the latest drivers for your graphics card off of the nvidia site, and then see if that fixes anything. If you haven't tried this already, go to Start menu, search "device manager" , click on device manager, and then 3rd or fourth from the top there will be a tab called "display adapters" click on that and then click the pop down bar. once there, right click on the card that appears (if any) and choose properties. it will tell you the specifications of your card. (P.S. I am assuming you have win7)

EDIT: I didn't see that you specified you are running windows 7 the first time I read that >.<
Hope that helps!

muuko

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi bobochez, thanks a lot for your reply! :D

I just checked again and the graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra

I've already tried installing the latest driver (ver 295.73), but it didn't seem to help at all. At the moment the computer either does not turn on or turns on but keeps flickering..

bobochez

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Agreed. I don't know about your tech knowledge but the ram placement in the dimm slots is important. Depending on how many slots you have on your motherboard, putting the ram in slots 1 and 3 will be the best. If you make sure that the ram is securely installed in the correct slots then the only thing I can suggest would be that you might have defective ram.