[SOLVED] Graphic Card gets very hot

Mar 29, 2021
Hello.
For some reason, my GPU goes from 55 to around 93 degrees within seconds.
This ONLY happens in larger games (Triple-A Games), which means it runs perfectly fine on smaller games.
My GPU has a bit of dust in it, but I've cleaned most of it out.

My Setup:
1080ti 11GB
2600x
16Gb 3200 MHZ
800W PSU

- I'm not sure if I have to change the Thermal Paste inside the GPU, because when my pc is idle, it goes down to 20 degrees (and it stays there!)
I have no idea what to do.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

(Here's a screenshot of how my temp looks while playing Red Dead Redemption 2.)
RyIEyx.png

Solution
Graphics cards do run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
80c. is a typical temperature when under load.
You do run a bit hot, But, I would not be overly worried.
The gpu fan will spin up and try to keep the temperature down.
Pc parts do not sweat.
Extra fans can be counter productive.
I think I count 10.
What counts is airflow.
Cool air comes in the front and exits out the back or top.
Can you describe which fans are taking in outside air and which are expelling air?
Dangle a tissue in front of the fan to tell.

I would not try to change out the thermal paste. Paste does not deteriorate all that quickly.
You may do damage to fix a problem you do not have.

ben001

Distinguished
  1. Is your GPU Overclocked?.
  2. Is your GPU an after-market or reference model?.
  3. Probably you can try changing your paste and make sure its parts are fitted properly.
  4. Does this affect your performance?
Temperatures can go up to 100C or more when under stress.

Reactions: Grobe
Mar 29, 2021
  1. Is your GPU Overclocked?.
  2. Is your GPU an after-market or reference model?.
  3. Probably you can try changing your paste and make sure its parts are fitted properly.
  4. Does this affect your performance?
Temperatures can go up to 100C or more when under stress.

Now, I don't know much about computers, but here's what I kinda know:

1. My GPU isn't overclocked anymore (I once tried doing it with afterburner and it worked, but the temp was constantly too high, so I reverted back to my stock settings.)
  2. Not sure as I bought it from a friend a few years back, but my guess is it was bought as a reference model, but later was modified with custom cooling. (not sure I answered that correctly.
  3. I can try, but I'm quite unsure I'm gonna do it correctly.
  4. Yes, it affects the performance. (example) I typically run Red Dead Redemption 2 with 85 to 100 fps with no problem at all, but it's when it gets those "temp spikes" the fps goes down to 8 to 10 - and my screen starts to flicker.

Mar 29, 2021
What is the temperature inside the cabinet, and how are you making the cooling of the cabinet?

I've had the pc for a long time, but I only still know a bit about it.

Not sure there's a more "professional" way of measuring the temp inside a pc case, but I can at least tell you this: The cabinet inside is relatively cold, but the GPU is hot (when playing games).

Here's two pictures of my pc. The first picture is everything in my case, and the second picture is what cooling my GPU uses (h55 corsair):
viSviW.png

V26flc.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh wow. You seem to have had it worse with the Kraken G12 than I have, but I'm using a Celsius S36 instead of the H55.

Let's see...
Fan setup looks ok.
Does anything change if you take the radiator and flip it so that the tubes are entering from the bottom, and not the top?

Mar 29, 2021
Oh wow. You seem to have had it worse with the Kraken G12 than I have, but I'm using a Celsius S36 instead of the H55.

Let's see...
Fan setup looks ok.
Does anything change if you take the radiator and flip it so that the tubes are entering from the bottom, and not the top?
Tbh, I am a bit unsure to unscrew anything in the computer.
I have an idea that it maybe needs a new thermal paste considering the GPU was bought around 5-6 years ago.
(the reason the Kraken g12 is "miscoloured" is that I used a wet wipe to clean for dust A LONG TIME ago and for some reason, the black colour went away as well - a stupid mistake, I know.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)It's not hard. Power the PC off, grab a philips head screwdriver, remove the radiator from the side of the chassis, flip it 180 degrees and screw it back that way. Power on!
2)A good brand of paste shouldn't have any trouble lasting 5 years. Plus, I believe the idle thermals would be much higher if it wasn't doing its job.
3)It's not quite that old. I bought the 1080Ti as soon as it was available, which was April 2017.

I believe the problem lies with the cooler's fluid/air volume. That's why I'm asking that you flip the flip the radiator.

Graphics cards do run hot, but they are built to tolerate heat.
80c. is a typical temperature when under load.
You do run a bit hot, But, I would not be overly worried.
The gpu fan will spin up and try to keep the temperature down.
Pc parts do not sweat.
Extra fans can be counter productive.
I think I count 10.
What counts is airflow.
Cool air comes in the front and exits out the back or top.
Can you describe which fans are taking in outside air and which are expelling air?
Dangle a tissue in front of the fan to tell.

I would not try to change out the thermal paste. Paste does not deteriorate all that quickly.
You may do damage to fix a problem you do not have.

Solution