Graphic Card/ LCD Monitor Compatibility

G

I read that people with LCD Monitors should purchase a graphics card that supports a DVI connection (one without RAMDAC). However, my LCD Monitor has both a DVI connector AND a VGA 15-pin CRT-type connector. My question is, will my Radeon 64 MB DDR graphics card (that supports ONLY VGA--no DVI) be compatible with my monitor? Obviously, the VGA 15-pin cable will connect the card and my LCD Monitor, but will the card work as well as if it was connected to a CRT monitor?

bighead111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The main difference between LCD and CRT monitors is the LCD is native digital device and CRT is analogue. VGA 15 pin thingy output the analog signal wheras DVI connector does digitally. Nowadays, VGA cards can support both anal and dig, that is why they can have both connectors. Your Readon only have 15-pin which can connect into you LCD 15-pin, which means it is captatible. It will also work with a CRT monitor for very Obvious reason.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Video enters the video card as a digital signal from the AGP bus, where it is then processed, then converted to analog, then output to the monitor. With a flat panel, it is converted back to digital from the analog signal. It is a much more efficient process to send the digital signal to the flat panel than to convert it to analog, then back to digital. Supposedly, you get a better quality picture. But I doubt that in reality you'd notice the difference.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine