Graphic Card Making The Computer Restart.

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
So, I had a GTX 570 on my computer for almost 2 years without a problem, but last month the computer started to restart without aparently reason. I tought it was due to overheating, so I cleaned it interior and changed the thermal paste from both the CPU and the graphic card, but it didnt solved the problem.

I checked all the other components of the computer and they all seen to be ok. The computer works normal if I use it with the on board graphic card. At this point I was almost sure that the graphic card was the problem, so I tested it on another computer and it was really making the computer to restart.

So I bought another graphic card, a GTX 770, and was sure that it would solve the problem. But after a week using the new graphic card the same problem began to happen again. The computer restart and the fans seen to go full speed.

I tested again all other components from the computer and they all seen to be ok. The computer still works normally without the graphic card. And also I'm pretty sure that the new graphic card is working normally.

Anyone has some ideia of what may be causing that problem? I'm starting to think now that it is a problem with the motherboard or with the power supply. But I have no ideia of how to be sure of what is the problem.

Here is my specifications:
Intel Core I7 2600K
Asus P8Z68-V
4GB DDR3
HDD 1TB SATA3 7200RPM
SSD 128GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
Corsair 800W GS800

Solution
Does the graphics card cause the system to restart as soon as you turn it on or is it once you've been on it for a certain period of time?
Is your graphics card over-clocked?

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

It's not over-clocked. Sometimes it restarts after a while, sometimes as soon as the windows start. Some few times it also happens of the computer no even booting, the graphic card seen to fail to start when this happens.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
I did a quick google search and I got these as your possible problems.

• 1.overheating (you can check this with GPU-Z)
    2.power supply not giving enough power/starting to die (you can also check this with GPU-Z, watch the 12v, if it is dropping significantly below 12v it is probably your power supply)
    3.poor connection between the GPU and the motherboard (make sure it is all the way in, and not sagging too much)
    4.poor connection on the GPU power adapters
    5.the GPU could simply be dying (less likely in my opinion)
    6.the motherboard or the PCI-E slot on the motherboard could be malfunctioning (even less likely)
    7.the graphics card may be throttling itself down. I used to have this problem on my Radeon HD 5850 where it would underclock itself all the way down to like 150mhz when I wasn't in a game to save power, which was not enough to handle my 2 monitors, and I would get a ton of artifacts, driver crashes, and freezes like you described. I have no idea if it is also a problem on Nvidia cards, but you might want to look into it.

I'd suggest you have a check through these, but I'd definately look into 4 and 6, they seem the most likely for your scenario.

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

1 -I'm pretty syre it is not overheating. It idle and full load temperature are ok.
2 - The power supply is what I'm thinking is the problem, but I couldnt find the 12v that u mentioned on GPU-Z the only thing I found about voltage was 0.862V and it stayed always at that nunber.
3/4 - I had already checked this, but I checked again. The connections looked fine, but lets see. Maybe that was the problem... Pretty dumb of my part if it was it...
5 - It's a new GPU, i dont think it came with problem from the factory.
6 - Any idead of how to teste this? I already tried changing the slote. Didnt worked...
7 - Already checked the clock, looked ok for me.

Well, lets hope that reduing the conections solved the problems. Until now it didnt restarded. But it took like a week to the first restart... Lets see.

Thank you for your help.

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
It is still restarting. I will try testing on another computer. But I'm almoste sure the problem is on the power suply.

And I acidently marqued this post as solved. Any idea of how i can undo this? I new here on the forum... Not used with it yet.

Thanatognomonic

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
does it not say "unselect current solution" next to the best answer?
and if your power supply is the problem and is around 3-5 years old then I'd say you could go with that. Get it replaced with something like a Corsair CX600m, it'll allow you to do some over-clocking if you ever plan on doing do and it'll keep your system running stable even if you don't Over-clock.

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

No it dont show "unselect current solution". Strange.
Anyway... My power supply is only 2 years old, but yeah, it seens to be the problem. I will change it and see if it solves the problem.

caiocanic

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

My power supply was defected, wich made the gpu fail and shutdown.

TRENDING THREADS