Graphic card problem

Joshy19

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I bought a new graphics card for my computer (Saphire Dual X R9 270X), I have a Gigbyte motherboard. My power supply was 230V and the recommended power for the Graphics card was 500W. I know it was silly but I installed it brainlessly wanting better FPs.
My computer started letting off a very odd smell, kind of a new smell you'd find, following after about 5 minutes by a few sparks and my computer going bang, I'd blown the power supply (obviously wasn't high enough Watts). To my luck no damage was done to the computer or graphics card etc and I swapped the power supply for a 500W one and it's all working again. However, I tried playing a game again with the graphics card and my now 500W power supply, But after about 5 minutes my computer started letting off the smell again and I immediately exited the game. Could someone tell me how to check what the problem is, how to check power usage etc?, I really want to know if it's safe to use.
Thanks.

Without knowing what PSU you have we can't say if it is up to the job, if its a cheap one its virtually guaranteed you need to buy a good quality one and for your setup I would aim for 550-600w to give you headroom. From your description your new PSU is some nasty low quality, don't use it as it could destroy your whole system