Question Graphic card rendering crashing

Nov 30, 2022
Hello,
was hoping someone here might be able to solve my issue as of the past year with what is going on with my graphic card. Running a 1080 ti GTX and the issue i keep getting when i play only certain games get a game freeze or crash. Some of these games do not give a error message, some do (like overwatch tells me i have a failure of rendering). i do use MSI afterburner to keep watch on vitals of the card to see what is producing this issue, unfortunately its just a random jump from ANY gpu useage to 100% useage spike and then 0% spike. On these particular games i ran them in potato mode of graphics and still get the same results just takes a minute or 2 longer for the crash to occur. But some games dont even have a single crash even at recommended graphics, and never once crash on those games (most of them older i assume use a different/older direct x). Anouther observation ive noticed is that the crashing occurs more frequently when in a discord call with friends (dont know if that info will help or not). This issue has been bothering me for a LONG while now and has steered me away from compeditive gaming because i never know if my game with crash mid game. Im at the point where i might just try buying a new GPU to see if that fixes the issue if mine is just starting to wear out... though i know the 1080 ti is still a beloved card to this day.

things ive tried:
-overclock/underclock. ive tried this though im not very good at it and didn't seem to make much difference.
-formatted whole computer and even upgraded my windows to 11, drivers are all up to date to latest.
-bought new PSU hoping that would solve the issue
-changed power options to high performance
-all games are run by administrator

specs:
CPU: intel i7-7700k
ram: 48 gig (2 -16's T-force, 2- 8's G-skill tridentZ)
GPU: GTX Zotac 1080 ti
PSU: 850 (newly bought)
Storage: 500gig m.2 (system dedicated), 1 gig SSD (gaming dedicated)

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
i would move back to windows 10 for now.

otherwise try these: Updating Bios, checking thermals to make sure its not a thermal shutdown issue, try the GPU in another tested working system, try single sticks of ram with said GPU.

these should all help with your problem.

Nov 30, 2022
i would move back to windows 10 for now.

otherwise try these: Updating Bios, checking thermals to make sure its not a thermal shutdown issue, try the GPU in another tested working system, try single sticks of ram with said GPU.

these should all help with your problem.
it happened on windows 10 anyways so i dont really want to convert back.

ive been thinking about updating my bios, will have to get a USB to do so though cause my motherboard said i have to manually update it with usb method.

thermals havent been a issue at least not with the gpu, msi said the hottest i got to was 60*c and if it ever reach 80 its sopose to kick in the fans to 100%.

the only other rig i have is ancient . i dont even remember what cpu is currently in it from 10+ years ago.

as for the sticks i was thinking about removing the 8gb ones and sticking to the 2 - 16's cause they are different manufacture they might be conflicting, though i did have 4 sticks of the 8gb tridentz before and it was causing issues back then also, but worth a shot anyways try it tomorrow after updating bios.

ill get back to if anything actually worked.