Question Graphic card tests

sa.ceggm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2019
Hello.
Someone asked me to check if a graphic card is a good to buy, and i can test it for like 5 mins so i've been wondering what kind of tests I should be doing.
Am thinking about running the gpu-z yo know if the graphic card is genuine.
I heard about '' Realtemp'' in order to check if it overheats but i want to know if 5 mins of gaming for example would be enough to test for overheating.
Is there any other apps, things you would recommend me to check ? Also is there a way i could know if it was used for mining?
Thank you

Hello.
Someone asked me to check if a graphic card is a good to buy, and i can test it for like 5 mins so i've been wondering what kind of tests I should be doing.
Am thinking about running the gpu-z yo know if the graphic card is genuine.
I heard about '' Realtemp'' in order to check if it overheats but i want to know if 5 mins of gaming for example would be enough to test for overheating.
Is there any other apps, things you would recommend me to check ? Also is there a way i could know if it was used for mining?
Thank you

I can't think of a way to tell if it's been used for mining- actually ex mining cards needn't be an issue provided it was cooled properly (just mean it has had heavy use). Really you need to run a stress test on it, a 3D benchmark would be good to put it under a serious load, maybe look at the Unigine benchmakrs as they are free:
https://benchmark.unigine.com/

sa.ceggm

Honorable
Feb 8, 2019
I can't think of a way to tell if it's been used for mining- actually ex mining cards needn't be an issue provided it was cooled properly (just mean it has had heavy use). Really you need to run a stress test on it, a 3D benchmark would be good to put it under a serious load, maybe look at the Unigine benchmakrs as they are free:
https://benchmark.unigine.com/
Thanks for your answer. Well is there any chance it would harm the gpu? Or maybe another component if the psu is lower than its supposed to be?
Also will i like get a result window at the end or it just depends on if it crashes or not

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. Well is there any chance it would harm the gpu? Or maybe another component if the psu is lower than its supposed to be?
Also will i like get a result window at the end or it just depends on if it crashes or not

Well Unigine is essentially a game engine, so it's a representative workload rather than a stress test, so risk of running it isn't really any worse than loading a modern game. Typically if the PSU isn't up to it the gpu won't get enough juice and would crash out (although if it's a really bad PSU it could fail which would be bad).

The unigine benchmarks do give you results at the end, so you can compare the results against a database online- that is a good way to tell if your card is performing in the expected range or not.