[SOLVED] Graphic card to send 10-bit color to BenQ SW271 monitor

Apr 5, 2020
Before buying the BenQ SW271 monitor, I need to upgrade my system so that it supports it. Specifically, I need DisplayPort 1.4 because it's the only way how to send 10-bit color to BenQ SW271 monitor. My current setup doesn't have DisplayPort 1.4. Actually it doesn't have any DisplayPort at all.

My motherboard is MSI B150M MORTAR and it uses the integrated graphics of Intel Core i7-7700K. Currently the HDMI port of the motherboard sends signal to my AV receiver, the DVI port sends the signal to my old LCD monitor.

What would be the easiest way how to upgrade the system and get the DisplayPort 1.4 output? I will be using the system for photo editing in Adobe Lightroom 6.14. This version of the Lightroom uses GPU only for RAW image rendering, and for nothing else, if I'm not mistaken. That means stronger graphic card wouldn't help me much, and so I don't need any very strong graphic card.

I was even thinking that to get a DisplayPort, I may not even need a new graphic card. Maybe it would be better idea to just upgrade the motherboard, and get the one that uses DisplayPort.

What do you think?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now BUDGET RANGE: I don't want to pay much more than the price for the card that satisfies the requirements specified below

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Adobe Lightroom 6.14 standalone version, some home theater/watching movies, no gaming right now.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: integrated graphics of Intel Core i7-7700K , I'm not sure about the power supply.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU Intel Core i7-7700K, motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR

BenQ SW271 MONITOR RESOLUTION: 3840 x 2160

Solution
You won't find a mobo with 1.4 that is compatible with that cpu. Even if the igpu did support 1.4, support for 10bit to opengl has worked on some drivers and not on others. It'll support 10 bit for directx but lightroom uses opengl. It's a similar issue with geforce gpus. They only support 10 bit dx not opengl which is why I'm suggesting workstation gpus.
The intel igpu may or may not support 10 bit to opengl. They've had complications and I don't see dp 1.4 support so you need a gpu. I am having some difficulty finding newerish quadros or firepros at reasonable prices. The quadro k620 is the best I've found at $75. It was updated to dp 1.4 awhile back so you shouldn't need to do the firmware update yourself. It's low power so even with a basic 300w psu, you will be fine but you should check what you have.

Apr 5, 2020
Dear k114, thanks for your advice. If I understand correctly, you don't recommend to switch/upgrade the motherboard, because even when the new motherboard had the 1.4 DisplayPort, this graphic output would be still "feeded" by intel integrated graphics, which won't send 10-bit color to it?

I checked my power, its 350W (Corsair VS350).

I have ordered HP NVIDIA Quadro K620 2GB.

You won't find a mobo with 1.4 that is compatible with that cpu. Even if the igpu did support 1.4, support for 10bit to opengl has worked on some drivers and not on others. It'll support 10 bit for directx but lightroom uses opengl. It's a similar issue with geforce gpus. They only support 10 bit dx not opengl which is why I'm suggesting workstation gpus.

Solution