[SOLVED] graphic card too good

Jul 15, 2021
hello i want to buy new graphic card but i dont know if my processor isnt too bad for that graphic card i want to buy gtx 1650 super and my processor is intel core i5 2500.

Solution
When mixing old with new, the answer is, it doesn't matter. You get the performance the total system will offer you.

Yes, there are certainly games you could run where a faster CPU will get you more FPS, particularly more recent multi-threaded titles. But there are also games where the GPU will be the limit anyway, so the CPU becomes less important.

i5-2500 is pretty old though, so might want to consider an upgrade there in the not too distant future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When mixing old with new, the answer is, it doesn't matter. You get the performance the total system will offer you.

Yes, there are certainly games you could run where a faster CPU will get you more FPS, particularly more recent multi-threaded titles. But there are also games where the GPU will be the limit anyway, so the CPU becomes less important.

i5-2500 is pretty old though, so might want to consider an upgrade there in the not too distant future.

Reactions: elakcmelak
Solution

Joseph_138

Distinguished

It actually DOES matter. Spending more money on a newer card that isn't going to perform any better than an older, cheaper card because it's CPU bound is just stupid.

Reactions: elakcmelak
Point taken. The thing today is though those systems with 980s for example, back in the day, games aren’t using as many threads as they do today. If you can find an older i7 or comparable Xeon, then that should help give an extra boost for gaming still until you can upgrade the system.

You should be able to see the model of the board if you look at it. They are printed on there usually. If it’s a prebuilt pc, you can probably look up the model of pc it was and see what processors they offered with that pc. That may give an idea as to what cpu would work.

USAFRet

Titan
Did the OP announce his intention of doing that? What if it's another 5 or 6 years out before he upgrades? He'll have spent all that extra money that he didn't need to, and that card will already be obsolete by then.
Similarly, he also did not say he was going to stay with that old CPU forever.

I merely put that out there as an option.

But putting in a better part is rarely a bad idea.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
However, if the op does not upgrade the cpu, they could bottleneck their i5 and then be forced to upgrade the cpu. So not knowing their intent, a moderate upgrade seems to be a good path.

There will always be bottleneck when mixing old and new hardware.

If the game engine is already the bottleneck, then you can increase in-game settings or screen resolution and have a better experience at the same FPS.

Newer hardware has additional features as well, might come in handy outside of gaming. Lower power requirements could avoid a power supply upgrade.

Not necessarily cheaper/wiser to get an older card at the moment. And buying used means all the potential issues that comes with. GTX980 as someone mentioned, is already 6 years old, risk having a fan or the entire card die on you.

$280 for a 5GB GTX1650
$300 for a 6GB GTX1650
$100-120 for a GTX970 (3.5GB)
$150-160 for GTX980 (4GB)
$165 and up? GTX 1060 6GB (Way too many fake cards to look through...all sold...) Age is a little more tricky, since they made the cards for a long while. But 4 years on a used one would be typical for the recognizable models from ASUS, MSI, and EVGA.

On the positive side, no significant fake 970 or 980 out there.

On the positive side, prices for 900 series cards are about half what they were a month ago.

I understand where you are coming from. I have a GTX 970, just got a 1070 that seems to be in good shape. So it's working, the 970 is going up for sale. Could use repasting for sure. But I paid 175 for the 970. Of course, I'd just sold a 1660 super for almost 500.

When I buy used GPU's, I've had good luck on ebay though. I've bought over the last 10 years or so, I think 3-4 used cards there and haven't been burned. The biggest thing to watch is seller's feedback I think. But it does help that ebay has a buyer protection program so if a card isn't as described you can open a case and usually get your money back.

It does help however, if you are a bit handy to where if you get a card for example, that you have a few tools, some thermal paate, and are relatively comfortable opening up the card and cleaning it up and applying new paste to it. Though I've not had to do that on any of mine yet, and haven't had to do any of the rig jobs like Linus did in a video a few years ago with case fans and zip ties. So I guess I've been fortunate. But I'm not too uncomfortable buying a used card. However, I probably would not buy one on craigslist. No protection. Perhaps locally if I could see the card working....but I prefer ebay because of the fact they have buyer protection and you can open a case if the card does not work as described.

The cards can die I suppose, but I think as long as you've got working fans, and good airflow around it, you are probably not as likely to have that happen. However, that still can, and those 900 series are getting long in the tooth. But if you can get them cheap enough I guess you know the risk.