Graphic card upgrade? should i?

Oct 25, 2018
Hey,

i play world of tanks and since they introduced their own graphics engine (core) my quality is only on low to medium. :(
i have absolutley no idea how any of this stuff works and it would be great if someone could tell me if its worth to upgrade my graphics card and if its even possible.
my pc is quite old (6-8) years and here are my current stats:

CPU Athlon II X4 645 (3,1ghz)
GPU GeForce GTX 295
RAM 8GB

If its possible to upgrade, what graphics card would you recommend?
Thanks a lot and sorry for my inexperience.

Solution
Wait, OP has the 295, as in the R9 295X2?

In that case, I highly doubt that the GPU is holding anything back- though I am assuming OP is running 2560x1440 or 1920x1080.

It's the platform. Best bet is to get a new MB, RAM, and CPU. Whether Intel or AMD doesn't matter a whole lot.

I'm nearly certain the CPU is the issue here.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
If you are already running a GTX 295 that means you have the PCI slot and PSU power to run any modern graphic card, but I really think that CPU is going to bottleneck the amount of performance gain you can achieve.

What is your budget? Do you only aim to beef it up to have a better experience on WOT? What resolution do you play at?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wait, OP has the 295, as in the R9 295X2?

In that case, I highly doubt that the GPU is holding anything back- though I am assuming OP is running 2560x1440 or 1920x1080.

It's the platform. Best bet is to get a new MB, RAM, and CPU. Whether Intel or AMD doesn't matter a whole lot.

I'm nearly certain the CPU is the issue here.

Solution
Oct 25, 2018

Thank you all for the quick responses!!! I just checked temp and usage of CPU/GPU and i am now certain too that the CPU is the issue. (too dumb to figure it out myself first lmao) I really thought it was the graphics card but i guess i just wanted it to be because its way easier for me to get a new one.
Thank y'all once again, i will figure the rest out myself. :)
Have a nice day/evening!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Oh, crap, that was my mistake!

My bad, helloitsme123 - vapour is correct. I misread GTX 295 as R9 295X2.

Now, if your testing of your typical usage showed your CPU is pegging at 100% usage and your GPU is not, then the CPU is the weaker point currently.

But, it's likely that when you upgrade, the new CPU/RAM/mobo combo will start pegging your existing GPU.

Seems like you might be looking at upgrading both GPU and platform.

My bad - I clearly needed more caffeine yesterday!