Question Graphic glitches showing up in various games recently

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
  • Operating system : Windows 11 (but I have rolled back to 10 and that didn't fix it)
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 no overclock (~2 years old)
  • GPU : AMD RX 6700XT (5 months old)
  • Motherboard : MSI B450M Gaming Plus with both the most recent and the most recent non-beta BIOS version (~2 years old)
  • RAM : 2x8GB HyperX HX432C16PB3K2 Predator with XMP to 3200MHz (~2 years old)
  • PSU : Seasonic SSR-650RM Active PFC G-650 650W (~6 years old)
  • Monitor : MSI Optix MAG271CQR with included DP cable (+ another one I had lying around). Also tried my HP 22k monitor to no avail.
I've used DDU to get a clean driver install, I'm running default settings there, I've reset my BIOS and I'm running (outside of RAM XMP) default settings there as well. Tried Freesync on/off with no difference. Also tried vsync/enhanced sync on/off respectively, also makes no difference.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AlH1dzG

This video kinda shows what's going on lately. Graphical glitches in games, especially when there's a lot of stuff going on. Checked it out in League of Legends as well as FFXIV. I went back to different driver versions, went back to Win10 but it occurs regardless of driver/windows version. It also occurs regardless of which monitor I use and which cable I connect it with.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZFKRQD1

This is what it looks like for FFXIV.

I have loaded up other games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3 all on max settings and they all run completely fun. Ran the Furmark GPU stress test and temps were fine, no glitches, no crashes, no stuttering. Threw in a CPU stress test for good measure, all went well. 95C max for GPU hotspot, 68C max for mem hotspot, 75C max for CPU.

By ruling out all other options.. do I really have to RMA the card? Is there anything else I can do to figure it out if there's something else causing it? With it being graphic glitches.. it kinda must be the GPU, right?
But I don't understand why it's only happening in those two not very demanding games whereas stress tests and more demanding games have no issues.

Also apologies, I posted this in the "component" subforum before, but I feel like this is more likely to be a GPU issue - not sure if that's allowed.

Anyone have an idea what else I could try?

• Operating system : Windows 11 (but I have rolled back to 10 and that didn't fix it)
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 no overclock (~2 years old)
  • GPU : AMD RX 6700XT (5 months old)
  • Motherboard : MSI B450M Gaming Plus with both the most recent and the most recent non-beta BIOS version (~2 years old)
  • RAM : 2x8GB HyperX HX432C16PB3K2 Predator with XMP to 3200MHz (~2 years old)
  • PSU : Seasonic SSR-650RM Active PFC G-650 650W (~6 years old)
  • Monitor : MSI Optix MAG271CQR with included DP cable (+ another one I had lying around). Also tried my HP 22k monitor to no avail.
I've used DDU to get a clean driver install, I'm running default settings there, I've reset my BIOS and I'm running (outside of RAM XMP) default settings there as well. Tried Freesync on/off with no difference. Also tried vsync/enhanced sync on/off respectively, also makes no difference.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AlH1dzG

This video kinda shows what's going on lately. Graphical glitches in games, especially when there's a lot of stuff going on. Checked it out in League of Legends as well as FFXIV. I went back to different driver versions, went back to Win10 but it occurs regardless of driver/windows version. It also occurs regardless of which monitor I use and which cable I connect it with.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ZFKRQD1

This is what it looks like for FFXIV.

I have loaded up other games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3 all on max settings and they all run completely fun. Ran the Furmark GPU stress test and temps were fine, no glitches, no crashes, no stuttering. Threw in a CPU stress test for good measure, all went well. 95C max for GPU hotspot, 68C max for mem hotspot, 75C max for CPU.

By ruling out all other options.. do I really have to RMA the card? Is there anything else I can do to figure it out if there's something else causing it? With it being graphic glitches.. it kinda must be the GPU, right?
But I don't understand why it's only happening in those two not very demanding games whereas stress tests and more demanding games have no issues.

Also apologies, I posted this in the "component" subforum before, but I feel like this is more likely to be a GPU issue - not sure if that's allowed.

Anyone have an idea what else I could try?

That does look like a typical faulty graphics card (probably an issue with the ram on the card rather than the gpu itself). As to why it happens in the older games - it might be tied to frame rates. Have you tried turning on V-Sync in these games? That will limit the frame rate (whereas the newer games you tried will run slower due to being more demanding) - if the problem goes away then it suggests the problem is when the card is running at very high refresh rates. If that is the case though limiting frame rates isn't a fix, the problem will likely get worse over time so I would definitely look at doing an RMA whilst the card is still covered.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
That does look like a typical faulty graphics card (probably an issue with the ram on the card rather than the gpu itself). As to why it happens in the older games - it might be tied to frame rates. Have you tried turning on V-Sync in these games? That will limit the frame rate (whereas the newer games you tried will run slower due to being more demanding) - if the problem goes away then it suggests the problem is when the card is running at very high refresh rates. If that is the case though limiting frame rates isn't a fix, the problem will likely get worse over time so I would definitely look at doing an RMA whilst the card is still covered.

I've written the original retailer an email to start the RMA process, thank you.

No, limiting FPS does not solve this issue. I've set it down to as low as 30FPS and it still keeps happening in League.

Reactions: cdrkf