Question Graphical glitches during and after Windows install on newly built second hand parts PC

Apr 22, 2023
Hi. I helped a friend of mine choose parts for a PC which he brought off of ebay (everything but the PSU, which is new). The part list is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 TURBO 10G
PSU: Corsair RMe Series 850W 80+ Gold
RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB 3000MHz
SSD: 500GB M.2
CPU Cooler: Peerless Assassin 120

The PC boots up, but when installing an OS and in the OS itself there are these high frequency graphical glitches: View: https://imgur.com/a/0IlDR84
When running PassMark benchmarks, there are glithces in the water on DX9. The other tests run fine, except that sometimes it skips some tests without an explanation. Also in the results of the tests (both for the CPU and the GPU) we get some huge numbers, which are exactly equal across tests. The PC sometimes shuts off unexpectedly. Also, on power up it sometimes restarts before reaching BIOS.

So far we've tried using a different GPU, a different motherboard (with a BIOS update on both mobos) and a different SSD, but we get the same behaviour. I'm starting to think we have a faulty CPU, but there is no way for me to test this without buying another one. I was wondering if someone has encountered something like this or has any ideas what could be causing it.

I mean, if you've tried different motherboards, different graphics cards and a different SSD and still have the problem then it pretty well HAS to be the CPU, and considering it was purchased used, this would not be terribly surprising. I really can't see memory or power supply causing that issue so I think you're on the right track with the CPU. Might want to check VERY closely to ensure there are no bent pins on the CPU as well.

TRENDING THREADS