Question Graphics card (7700 XT) usage visible on bill if you live in an expensive electricity country? (Belgium) ?

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Would it be visible on your bill?
I don't have the card yet but I was targeting it, untill some video stopped me somehow.
7700xt isn't as power efficient as I would have liked.
If so, what are the alternatives? I could undervolt it once I have it. but what about it's performance then? Would it be more like a 6700xt once I downvolt it? Or would it be better to buy another card straight away?
I do like the new things on the 7000 series though...

I have a 6700XT undervolted to 2500-2600MHz@1075mV - MSI Afterburner & AMD Adrenaline reports that it uses around roughly 160W in games with the frames uncapped. Hope this info helps

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Assuming you will be gaming around four hours a day with the system running eight hours a day, and given it costs roughly 63 cents USD per kilowatt of electricity in Belgium, that puts your system around 800 dollars to run annually. That's about 750 euros. This is also assuming you have a mid tier CPU like the Ryzen 5 7600X. If you went with hardware a little more modest like the Ryzen 5 5600X paired with the RX 7600, that would put you around 540 USD, or 500 euros. These prices are just generalizations, but hopefully they give you some idea of your annual costs. Hope this helped, take care.

A quick Google search tells me Belgium's average electricity rate is the equivalent of $0.64 USD per kWHr. Assuming you game 12 hours a week (the upper end of how long "gamers" spend playing), and you get a card that consumes 100W less on average, you're saving roughly $0.77 USD per week. If you bought say a $400 USD video card, you'd have to keep the card for around 10 years before you broke even, assuming nothing else changes.

Don't get hardware to just to save money on your electric bill.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Assuming you will be gaming around four hours a day with the system running eight hours a day, and given it costs roughly 63 cents USD per kilowatt of electricity in Belgium, that puts your system around 800 dollars to run annually. That's about 750 euros. This is also assuming you have a mid tier CPU like the Ryzen 5 7600X. If you went with hardware a little more modest like the Ryzen 5 5600X paired with the RX 7600, that would put you around 540 USD, or 500 euros. These prices are just generalizations, but hopefully they give you some idea of your annual costs. Hope this helped, take care.
Do you think undervolting might help?

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Would it be visable on your bill?
I don't have the card yet but I was targeting it, untill some video stopped me somehow.
7700xt isn't as power efficient as I would have liked.
If so, what are the alternatives? I could undervolt it once I have it. but what about it's performance then? Would it be more like a 6700xt once I downvolt it? Or would it be better to buy another card straight away?
I do like the new things on the 7000 series though...
If you use some of the tech AMD's drivers offer (like chill) and use frame caps on games you don't need max possible fps, a higher level card uses less power than a lower level one. For example, my old RX480 had to use 120W to get me 60fps in a certain game. With a 60fps cap set on that game, the RX6600XT needs only 30W.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
If you use some of the tech AMD's drivers offer (like chill) and use frame caps on games you don't need max possible fps, a higher level card uses less power than a lower level one. For example, my old RX480 had to use 120W to get me 60fps in a certain game. With a 60fps cap set on that game, the RX6600XT needs only 30W.
So I don't need to undervolt it? Chill is an easier setting. I don't know what it does compared to undervolting but if I can just click that setting and play and use little power, then I might just do that.
I don't wanna have temps above 70 degrees either.
I think the 7600 non x uses less power and stays cooler. Less in performance cause the x version is binned higher though.
If I would take the x version maybe undervolting it would help as well...

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
So I don't need to undervolt it? Chill is an easier setting. I don't know what it does compared to undervolting but if I can just click that setting and play and use little power, then I might just do that.
I don't wanna have temps above 70 degrees either.

I think the 7600 non x uses less power and stays cooler. Less in performance cause the x version is binned higher though.
If I would take the x version maybe undervolting it would help as well...
Chill allows you to set a min and max fps and it automatically raises and drops the fps between the 2 values depending on your activity. For example if you set them at 30 and 100, when you actively play the game, it will try to hit 100fps. if you go afk it will limit fps to 30 and reduce power accordingly. Also from the drivers you can have per game settings to limit the max fps. If you play Counter Strike you need as many fps as you can get but if you play some slow paced game, you dont need 500fps so you can set a limit and the card will not draw more power than it needs to get that target fps

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Chill allows you to set a min and max fps and it automatically raises and drops the fps between the 2 values depending on your activity. For example if you set them at 30 and 100, when you actively play the game, it will try to hit 100fps. if you go afk it will limit fps to 30 and reduce power accordingly. Also from the drivers you can have per game settings to limit the max fps. If you play Counter Strike you need as many fps as you can get but if you play some slow paced game, you dont need 500fps so you can set a limit and the card will not draw more power than it needs to get that target fps
Well I hope I can run starfield this way. Cause that and unreal engine 5 games are the games I wanna be able to play on atleast high settings for the settings that are crucial.
Would undervolting be a better option this way? Cause chill is easy accessable. Just click and the system does it for you...
I play like 1-4 hours a day. I do play everyday but right now, I only play league which isn't demanding at all. I haven't got the new pc yet but I need to know these things before I buy.

For all we know, maybe the cheaper 6700xt is way better because it draws less power. Perfromance isn't great for the future though... nvidia might be drawing way less power but the 4000 series isn't good at all. And the 3000 series is too old so I wanna go amd for this. Which only leaves us with a few options: 6700xt, 6800 (which draws even more power) or 7700xt... this is my max budget too... Its really essential for me that the elctrical bill doesn't go too high...

Last edited:

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Undervolting takes some work to get right because not all GPUs are the same, even if its the same model, and could cause some problems if you do things wrong. Still, there is an "auto undervolt" option in the drivers that should get you a stable result with one click.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Undervolting takes some work to get right because not all GPUs are the same, even if its the same model, and could cause some problems if you do things wrong. Still, there is an "auto undervolt" option in the drivers that should get you a stable result with one click.
damn, NICE! I'll deffinatly take note of that.
Here are the videos I was mostly stressed about:
View: https://youtu.be/OknTNKYNn7Q?si=HGBx15dISBUXvglO&t=437

And this is why thoughts like undervolting came to mind:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Gz_A-luXI

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
In most cases the card will only draw as much power as it needs for the task. Even if it says that it draws 350 or 400 or 500W , that's only when it runs at 100% which is not too often even in games.

Reactions: Phil_33

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
forgot to ask, you have a range of results of stability, right? Does it take a random number? Or just the last number that pops up when it's stable? Or does it take the most ideal one?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Make sure all the house lights are LED and you have proper insulation and modern heating. Turn off the lights when you're not in your rooms and don't keep the TV on for longer than it's used ....

Once all that's done, get your GPU and enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS