Question Graphics card card crashing in games but not benchmark software ?

Nov 6, 2022
SYSTEM SPECS
Motherboard - B450M PRO-VDH MAX
CPU - AMD 3600XT
GPU - ZOTAC GTX1080TI
RAM - 16GB CORSAIR (2X8GB) 2300mhz
PSU - CORSAIR RM650
STORAGE - 2TB barracuda HDD
100GB kingston SSD

CURRENT ISSUES

Game freeze and recovered with 3D models appearing black -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-rzLSMbQA

Game freeze and return to desktop -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghVcWIMwqg

Game freeze and recovered with "video driver hung and was restarted, texture quality reduced " Game freeze and blackscreen followed by PC self reboot with keyboard, mouse and case lights still visible (very rare)

GAMES
War thunder - Crash
World of warships - Freeze and recovers with black 3d models
world of tanks - Crash
Grand Theft Auto V - No issue
Hell let loose - Crash
BeamNG Drive - No issue
Battlefield V - crash

WHAT IVE TRIED
Factory reset system
used DDU in safe mode to remove all graphics drivers and re install old and latest drivers
underclocking the graphics card using "Zotac firestorm"
decreasing the graphics in games
moving games to SSD and vise versa
re seating the graphics card
uninstalling physx

SUMMERY
ive been very conflicted as to weather this is a hardware issue or a software issue as the GPU only crashes on games but not on benchmarking testing software such as heaven, the GPU has been crashing for almost a year now but ive finally had enough and want to resolve the issue once and for all, from what ive gathered from the multiple crashes from different games its something to do with the drivers, but like i said ive reinstalled drivers multiple times to no avail so i have no clue where else to go. i must also note that the crashes are extremely infrequent, i could not recreate the issue on demand other than just waiting for it to crash, sometimes it can be 5 mins of playtime sometimes it can be an hour, very difficult to say.

Thanks for any replies :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - CORSAIR RM650
How old is the PSU in your build?

RAM - 16GB CORSAIR (2X8GB) 2300mhz
You mean 3200MHz, right?

What version of Windows 10 are you working with?

As for your games,
moving games to SSD and vise versa
have you tried reinstalling the afflicted game on the SSD? 120GB(assuming 100GB as a typo) for the OS drive is very small.

Game freeze and recovered with "video driver hung and was restarted, texture quality reduced "

Points squarely at the GPU; driver is crashing but managing to recover after going through a restart. I've seen that happen from time to time when the GPU has a HW fault (typically VRAM). Since it sounds like this has been going on for a while now, the best way to verify the problem is to test with some other GPU (even an integrated one) just to confirm the GPU is the problem.

If the only errors you are getting are driver restarts and TDR related BSOD messages, then 90% the GPU is at fault. If you are getting other errors, it's possible you have a RAM failure. May as well run memtest86+ just to confirm your RAM is good in the meantime.

Reactions: Multyspeed

TRENDING THREADS