Graphics card change ability?

skyrimnerd

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I am a future computer builder and was thinking if i bought a cheaper graphics card, Would i be able to change that card later?

skyrimnerd

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Well the power supply that i am getting is a 750w. ANd when i do get the money i was hoping to buy maybe a 250-300$ graphics card. Is there ever a possibility that the powersupply might have to be changed if neccesary?

skyrimnerd

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Haha! :D Now with the motherboard... By the way sorry for all the questions... i just don't want to mess up and have to reoder stuff...

This is the processor inwhich i am getting:
2. AMD FX-8350 Vishera it's an 8 core proccessorwith an AM3+ socket. i;m looking for the correct boards i just don't know what a good board would have

skyrimnerd

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
There are alot of cons to the ASUS motherboard.. thenagain it's a great motherboard. I'm not so sure if i want to buy the ASUS board. The gigabyte sounds better and it's cheaper too. And another notice i am building this computer for Gaming so i think OC would be needed

lp231

Splendid
Just check the Asus site to see if there are any new socket am3+ boards. They have but it's only them fm2+ boards with their current gold and black color theme that are new. Then something caught my attention and saw a another sabertooth board. It says Sabertooth 990FX/Gen 3.0 R2.0 Amd exclusive pcie 3.0. Exclusive pcie 3.0?
Doesn't socket am3+ already support 3.0? Turns no it does not. So far asus socket am3+, it's just that sabertooth gen 3.0 that has. Even their crosshair formula-z is pcie 2.0
Them fm2+ are pcie 3.0

According to this those 3.0 slots would run dual card setup at X8/X8 which equals 2.0 at X16/X16 so the real benefit was for single card use which has not been an issue.
"ASUS did the unthinkable yet simple, by innovating the first AMD platform motherboard that features PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, the Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3.0 R2.0. Long naming aside, the board provides you a couple of gen 3.0 slots by using PLX-made 48-lane PCI-Express Gen 3.0 bridge chip.

While the board features four PCI-Express x16 slots, only two similarly-colored slots can be used at a time, of which two are PCI-Express 2.0 x16, wired to the 990FX northbridge, and two slots being x16/NC or x8/x8-capable, being wired to a PLX 48-lane PCI-Express Gen 3.0 switch, which in turn takes two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 links from the northbridge."
Source http://www.techpowerup.com/178545/asus-unveils-worlds-first-pci-express-3-0-motherboard-for-amd-processors.html

Here more
"After Advanced Micro Devices cancelled code-named Komodo processor in favour of Vishera, the company’s high-end desktop platform lost any ability to obtain support for PCI Express 3.0 till at least late 2014. However, Asustek Computer has managed to make impossible possible with its Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2.0 mainboard, which enables PCI Express 3.0 support on AMD FX platform"
Source http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20130111104316_Asustek_Weds_AMD_FX_Platform_with_PCI_Express_3_0_in_New_Mainboard.html

For the first time in reviews I have seen the reviewers recommend on the very high end cards 290 290X and GTX780 and Ti that if you plan to go dual card to go with PCIe ver 3.0 capable setup. That rules out Intel older than Ivy Bridge and all of AMD.

Maybe a good option when we get FM2+ CPU's but not with the current lineup that can't compete with the FX CPU's.