Graphics card crash to a solid colored screen!Help??

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Hi this have been happening for a long time now

It all started after i played GTA V..

Usually the temperature is very high like 80 degrees when i play it(this never happend before)

The 1st time i played GTA V..the temp was ok with around 60-70degrees.but after weeks and weeks it got worse and i have to pause the game to prevent it from overheating
When it goes to 85C the game either crashes or it reboots

I fixed this by going into AC room and it stays to 75C but after 3 days..even at 75C the game crashes to a solid color this time
It can be either Green,white or grey with thin stripes :(

And now it got worse...now when i even start a game and play for like 5mins it crashes

Once i played Project cars for 5 mins and before it crashed the screen froze with some pink pixels in the screen

I have done almost everything

My specs

R9 280X MSI
8GB RAM
WIN7
AMD FX 8300

CPU temp is ok with around 60-65 usually

Things iv done

Cleaned the GPU fans
Cleaned the heatsink of GPU
Disassembled GPU and applied new thermal paste
Put my case open

Still it happens

Can anyone help me :(??

Solution
So i fixed it :D i think

I have tested Naruto for 1hr didnt crash

What i did was i completely disassembled the PC

Took out all wirings and reseated them back

Then tada it worked :D

I think it was because the PSU wiring was very badly kept so maybe it got loose or something but thanks for ur help xD i wouldnt have done this if i didnt knw it was a PSU problem

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/g-series/g600/

This is the one i have

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I haven noticed one thing just now

When the temperature of the GPU spiked upto 71C suddenly for 1 second and then it went back to 54 degrees both in speedfan and amd catalyst center..i was doing just nothing but browse FB..

MysticalGamingGuy

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

If it happens even without gaming then its not a problem with your GPU overheating and is probably a PSU issue

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Oh i kinda get it now u mention it so when i play games the GPU uses more power from the PSU so the faster the crash happens right??So its surely my PSU right?

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Something weird happend just now
I started Mortal Kombat X to the intro and i pressed start to go to mainmenu then i went to drink water
When i came back the PC was already rebooted to the "start windows normally" menu
1st thing i noticed was
There were Blue 2-3 Cm long Blue artifacts(i think thts wht u call)on the screen!!
There were 2 of em
I got pretty scared tht part
Do u think thts related to the PSU too?

MysticalGamingGuy

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
i'm not an expert on artifacts because i haven't dealt with them but from what i hear, artifacts usually appear on a failing GPU. If it is a problem with your PSU, all these constant crashes couldn't possibly be good for your GPU. if the artifacts are still there, this would be very worrisome, if they went away, it could be a sign of the GPU not getting enough power. but, as i said, im not an expert. the best thing for you to do is to get your PSU tested ASAP! i wouldn't want you to lose your GPU to a faulty PSU!

aikor

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
So i fixed it :D i think

I have tested Naruto for 1hr didnt crash

What i did was i completely disassembled the PC

Took out all wirings and reseated them back

Then tada it worked :D

I think it was because the PSU wiring was very badly kept so maybe it got loose or something but thanks for ur help xD i wouldnt have done this if i didnt knw it was a PSU problem

Solution