Graphics Card Deals Are Showing Up On...Massdrop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moedius

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Massdrop is great, as long as you have the patience. Of course right now with graphics cards, being impatient is going to cost you an arm and a leg regardless. If they drop a little further or bundle with Ryzen I'll probably jump on it. It should be noted that most drops are pretty limited on qty, so if it's a really good deal it'll run out.

sosborne563

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017
The current crop of card prices suck,period . I know that I'm not the only one that feels
$600.00 is too much to spend just to play games. At this rate I'm gonna be locked into my RX 470 OC and start buying games for my Xbox S

shouthouse

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I can't bring myself to spend this on a card, shortage or no. I'm building this year and I'll just use my current card until prices drop.

Rexer

Distinguished
Yeah, I'm building this year, too. I'm only lucky that I picked up a Vega 64 in November. For some reason I managed to pay retail in the middle of these monster prices. $509.00 flat. I'm pretty much in disbelief about prices for GPUs.

Is this intended as a question? If so then no, they are not. They are selling these cards for $200-$250 over retail price, which can hardly be considered a "deal". Compared to what these cards were selling for less than two months ago, these prices are terrible. The current price spike for graphics cards will likely be relatively short lived, so if someone is willing to wait a few months for it to subside, these prices may very well look rather poor by comparison. What's more, the GTX 1080 is nearly two years old at this point, and it's widely expected that Nvidia will have a new generation of graphics cards available by this summer.

This isn't even a particularly good option for someone unwilling to wait and wanting to buy a card right away, since according to the Massdrop page, they won't be shipping these cards out for nearly a month. By then, who knows what the pricing of these cards will be like, and chances are good that better "deals" will show up elsewhere in the mean time. And good luck cancelling an order with them after the sales period ends, which is in just three days.

If someone just wants to play games, then they absolutely don't need to spend $600 on a graphics card, even with the prices currently inflated as they are. Even a GTX 1050 is more powerful than the graphics hardware in an Xbox One S, and those are available starting around $150. Those prices may also be higher than what the cards launched for, but at least the markup isn't hundreds of dollars, which can instead be set aside for a faster card once prices come back down. While a GTX 1050 might not be able to run most recent games at 1080p with high settings while maintaining 60fps, neither can an Xbox One or PS4.

Ultimately, no one needs a high-end graphics card just to play games. Some may choose to get a graphics card in that price range to enable some visual embellishments over and above the norm, such as 4K resolution or 100+Hz refresh rates at ultra settings, but these things are in no way required for an enjoyable gaming experience.

That's just the article headline.

And these are deals. You confused MSRP with retail price. MSRP is is the Market SUGGESTED retail price, whereas a retail price is actually what something sells for. These GPUs are suggested to sell for a few hundred less, but due to market conditions and the shortage they sell for more than that. The current retail price of these cards from most retailers would be around $900 for a GTX 1080 and around $1100 for a GTX 1080 Ti, as stated in the article. You can fact check this with Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Walmart, or just about any retailer that sells GPUs. As Massdrop is selling the GTX 1080 for $650 and the GT 1080 Ti for $950, these qualifies as deals in the present market.

There is also no indication that this shortage will end soon. It's already persisted for a little over a month, and it may continue for several more months. Even if AMD and Nvidia release new GPUs, there is no guarantee that they won't also be hit by the shortage. New GPUs often sell out under normal market conditions, so it's almost certain that they will if released during the shortage. Yea it is better to wait if you can, but for those that don't want to wait potentially months, this is currently one of the best options.

Acidtest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I did grab a 1070 on an earlier Massdrop for about $537. Some of the deals are definitely better than others, they fluctuate with the market too. If you are looking to build a new PC and need a MB the combos are usually a bit better, just as on Newegg.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That's hardly an upgrade for someone who's already got a RX 470.

Eh, I wouldn't generalize. The One X and the PS4 Pro belong in a different category than their older brothers. Both are faster than a GTX 1050.

Cool, so then you won't mind loaning sosborne563 one of yours?

Otherwise, I'd think twice before lecturing someone about what they need or should want.

BTW, the GPU shortage is causing problems at my job, since we use these for neural net inferencing. And even if we can find a card in stock somewhere, we're restricted to buying mostly from approved suppliers.

Yep, but the implication was that someone needs to spend $600 on a graphics card "just to play games", while in reality even entry-level gaming hardware is fairly capable at the resolutions and settings that most people are fine with. An RX 470 can arguably still be considered mid-range hardware, and should handle 1080p rather well, so there shouldn't be a pressing need to upgrade from one at the moment. The vast majority of people still aren't gaming at higher resolutions than that, and while getting higher resolutions and increased frame rates on some newer screens might be nice, you start running into diminishing returns past a certain point, and are paying significantly more just to make things look a little nicer. Graphics cards around the GTX 1080 level are niche devices and not representative of what's needed to play games.

But rhetorical questions are great to poke fun at, especially when it can be argued that the answer may be different from the writer's intention. : P

And yes, things can sell for more than their MSRP if the demand for them is there, but the fact remains that most of these cards were selling for those prices on a regular basis up until the recent run on graphics cards caused by a sudden spike in cryptocurrency prices around the new year, which have since been on a downward trend, with most plummeting in value from their all time highs. You can be sure that governments are looking to regulate these currencies, and the entire model has questionable sustainability. At the very least, I somehow doubt that the current gold-rush where anyone with a bit of programming knowledge and some connections can launch their own currency will last for long. And while a handful of cryptocurrencies may stick around for the long term, they will more than likely see fewer sudden spikes in value as time goes on.

RealBeast

Titan
Massdrop is quite reliable in my experience. It takes about 6 weeks to get something like a GPU so you have to be patient. It will save you $50-$80 usually, I got a 1080Ti for $679 no tax or shipping in early September. When I ordered it was $80 less than the next lowest price but by the time I got it more like $125.

It certainly is not the cure for current prices though. GPUs and memory are way overpriced from the current supply/demand. Da#ned miners.

IcehawkOS

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
It's a good thing any i7 matched to a recentish video card is still viable, I have a 3770 and 970 which can run almost everything at 2k maxed out with acceptable framerates - with the Spectre/Meltdown issue, crazy RAM prices, ludicrous vid card prices, and high SSD pricing it make no sense for me to upgrade. I can't believe I am using a 6+ year old PC, it used to be 2-4yrs max before I'd "need" a new one.

I would like to move a higher core count as I do a fair amount of HEVC encoding and that is the one area I would see a huge improvement in but not for the $$$ it would cost at this point. Figure the premium due to shortages is in the $400-500 range for a build like I would do (top i7, xx70 NV card, 16gb, 1tb) which would be ~30% premium... and still have the Spectre/Meltdown issues. Hard pass.

Hopefully prices will get back to sanity in another year or two and by then Intel & AMD will have redesigned their procs to be more secure, I'll revist upgrading then.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Why not use a GPU for encoding, or is the quality not up to your standards?

IcehawkOS

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
I'm converting to HEVC and want to maintain highest quality I can for the compression size. Pretty amazing how small some video files get. I just run batches overnight/when I am at work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS