Graphics card equivalent of PS4 and Xbox One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupz

Sep 26, 2012

Any particular reason for this choice

All that's known at this point is that Microsoft opted for a GCN device with 12 compute units while Sony opted for a GCN device with 18 compute units. At 64 stream processors per compute unit this provides 768 and 1,152 stream processors in the XBox One and PS4 respectively. In terms of rendering abilities we can see that those fit comfortably in the middle of the two ranges that I mentioned above.

What is unknown at this point is what the GPUs will be clocked at. GCN is known to top out at around 1Ghz, with 800Mhz being nominal for most samples. I suspect that it will be clocked at the lower end of this range (800Mhz) because it is part of an APU, for yield reasons, and to keep power consumption down. If anything, I would expect Sony to clock the GPU on the PS4 higher than Microsoft clocks the GPU on the XBox One simply because Sony seems less concerned with power consumption.

Jupz

Sep 26, 2012

So say if I built a Gaming PC now with a GTX 770 and i5 3570K would it outlast the ps4 since at the release of the PS3 the graphics were not much better than the PS2 however now there is a huge difference between the PS2 and PS3 so would that not also be the same for the PS4

The graphics of early PS3 games were crummy because developers hadn't figured out how to use the wacky architecture of the Cell processor. It took them several years to master it.

The PS4 is little more than a PC in a box. There's nothing unique about it in any other aspect.

To answer your question, yes that PC would outlast the PS4.

maitelli

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013

Now this is information, my friend. Congratulations for this beautiful insight.

aw, thanks :)

Zynch

Honorable
May 26, 2013

battlefieldhazard

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Less than a 7770 cause i had a 7770 and it ran BF3 on ultra xbox looks way crappier maybe medium in comparison. xbox is maybe a 7730m with medium settings.

What are you comparing it against? The XBox One is not even out yet. The XBox 360 uses a GPU that's a derivative of the Radeon X1800

shredenvain

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
The xbox one will out perform both the hd7770 and 7790.
The X1 gpu has 2 memory busses. Esram 32mb 1024 bit bus and real world bandwidth of 150 gbs. DDr3 8 gb 256 bit bus real world bandwidth of 50 gbs.
Neither of the above amd cards touch that bandwidth. The 7770 is southern island (old tech). The X1 gpu is sea islands like the 7790 (less waste of resources).
Lastly the X1 gpu will benefit from closed box performance. In the words of John Carmack it takes a desktop gpu of 2x the performance to match a console gpu. So once developers get comfortable with the x1 hardware you will see results akin to a 2.5 tflop gpu.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
The Xbox is more powerful than a 765m - which is a pretty decent laptop GPU. Of course it can't compare to a $1,000 desktop GPU. But Shred makes a good point that closed box will result in roughly 2x the output equivalent once people learn the hardware. XBONE is going to be tougher to program for than PS4 at first because of ESRAM and the cloud features. If you've ever played OnLive you will notice that a Atom tablet can play Borderlands 2, or Crysis. 3 years from now as MSFT builds is servers, high speed internet gets even better, and programmers learn how to use it - the XBOX could be used just to render games that are running 100% in the Cloud. That's why I think this generation will be the last one. Eventually, Google, MSFT and Amazon will sell you an ARM box that streams games from their massive server farms. Sony is almost bankrupt and does not have the $$ to build this. Nintendo will go 3rd party.

I said that it's somewhere between the HD 7850 and HD 7870. That was an educated guess based on the information available at the time. It turns out that I was right, but it's much closer to the HD 7850 in performance.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

So PS4 players are getting a GTX 660 in their system?

They're getting approximately an HD 7850 in their system. If you wish to draw a comparison to NVidia, well then I suppose that's a good enough equivalence.

This is really not surprising.

Consumer video cards are sold at a markup. A Gigabyte video card needs to pad Gigabyte's pockets, and NVidia's pockets.

Game consoles on the other hand are often sold at or below cost. The original fat PS3 (the fat awesome one that came with tons of bells and whistles) had a bill of materials in the range of $800 yet retailed for $600. Sony took up to a $200 loss on each console sold, yet made quite a bit of cash on each game licence, controller, and peripheral sold. The XBox 360 wasn't designed to hit Microsoft in the pocket book quite as much but that backfired when the RRoD fiasco hit.

Most analysts predict that the XBox 360 and PS3 both generated net losses for their respective producers over their lifespans.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

I always thought that console makers were ripping people off. I guess I was wrong. Truthfully I'm shocked how much value consoles actually have.

It is something that is It hasn't always been that way. The last generation was especially bad because both Microsoft and Sony had the absolutely brilliant idea to completely reinvent the wheel and they've been milking that new wheel for the past couple of years to try and turn the books black. They both sunk tons of money into designing completely custom and very divergent hardware for no other reason than to say that they could. The original XBox on the other hand was often mocked as being nothing more than a PC in a box. Aside from a custom GPU that was a GeForce 3/4 hybrid this was mostly true. It ran an otherwise unremarkable PC hardware including a tweaked Pentium 3 microprocessor, off the shelf DVD-ROM, 3.5 inch IDE hard disk, and an OS that is heavily influenced by Windows 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.