Graphics card fan not turning on?

Alexk492

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
i wrote a long background story, but then chrome crashed. So I'm just gonna make a summary:

We got the gpu installed, forgot the screw, I changed the dvi a couple times, and it made the gpu loose, I put it back into place with a screw, had to reinstall the driver cd thing since the PC was on because I didn't realize that the gpu was outta place.

But then I noticed that the gpu wasn't performing well at ALL. I went to some websites, looked at some stuff and it said to check if the fans are working. Well, I checked, and the gpu fan isn't on. When I realized that, I immediately shut down the computer.

How do I fix this? The gpu fan isn't on/running. I just started with PC hardware and gaming, so I'm not good with the bios and reseating the gpu. I have paranoia about messing something up in the bios then the PC won't startup correctly.

What do I do?

Also, I have the msi GeForce gtx 970.

davidarad02

Admirable
haha, this is what nvidia was afraid of.

first off all, download the latest drivers from here:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

now, know that your GPU is ment to do that. I have the same card as you do, and what is supposed to happen is when the card is at idle (or not rendering 3d objects), the fans dont spin, as they dont have too. the maxwell arcuitecture is very efficent, meaning that it runs very cool, and you dont need a fan to cool it.

Alexk492

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Ok then why is the gpu performing really bad? I got lots of crashes and 1 blue screen when trying to play my games that were performing smoothly before. There were no problems before the gpu got loose, then I moved it back and all that. Why is this happening?