[SOLVED] Graphics card fan speed erratic

Nov 12, 2019
Hi. I've an MSI Nvidia GTX760 OC edition bought new back in 2013. In this past year, it seems to have developed a habit of randomly ramping up to a higher than necessary speed whilst the system is idle. I know the card isn't overheating from GPU Z. It is annoying and disconcerting when it does it, like reving you're car up to 3k rpm when it's not necessary. Does anyone know of a cheap fix? I'm sure it's just fan related, the card works fine when gaming, no artifiacts on the screen or anything.

Solution
Your threads never got removed, I just found them in the GPU section and since they were all on the same topic, I merged them. Please keep your thoughts on one thread to avoid people from getting spaghetti brains.

Now, to bring things back on track, please be advised that the fans are a means of mechanical cooling. Removing them without a replacement, will only result in an overheating issue and possible damage.
Hi. I've an MSI Nvidia GTX760 OC edition bought new back in 2013. In this past year, it seems to have developed a habit of randomly ramping up to a higher than necessary speed whilst the system is idle. I know the card isn't overheating from GPU Z. It is annoying and disconcerting when it does it, like reving you're car up to 3k rpm when it's not necessary. Does anyone know of a cheap fix? I'm sure it's just fan related, the card works fine when gaming, no artifiacts on the screen or anything.
Use MSI Afterburner to set up a custom fan curve, it allows you to manually decide fan speed(in %) based on the GPU's temperature. Perhaps it's the fan, or maybe some driver-related issue that breaks the automatic fan speed control.

Nov 12, 2019
Use MSI Afterburner to set up a custom fan curve, it allows you to manually decide fan speed(in %) based on the GPU's temperature. Perhaps it's the fan, or maybe some driver-related issue that breaks the automatic fan speed control.

I've already thought of doing that many months ago. I had Afterburner OPEN whilst it was doing it and manually set the fan speed to the lowest possible speed. No effect. Ideas?

I've already thought of doing that many months ago. I had Afterburner OPEN whilst it was doing it and manually set the fan speed to the lowest possible speed. No effect. Ideas?
Try using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all your GPU drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers. This removes any residuals of old driver installations that might be interfering with the current drivers.

Nov 12, 2019
Try using Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all your GPU drivers, then reinstall the latest drivers. This removes any residuals of old driver installations that might be interfering with the current drivers.

I've tried that as well. Even used "Driver cleanser". NO difference. Right now according to GPUZ the fan is spinning at 3k rpm when I've just got Opera open.

No reason, temp is 35 degrees.

I've maxed out the speed on MSI Afterburner. GPUZ says the speed is at 100%, but the fan isn't spinning that fast.

It seems that it is responding on a software level but not on a hardware level.

I've tried that as well. Even used "Driver cleanser". NO difference. Right now according to GPUZ the fan is spinning at 3k rpm when I've just got Opera open.

No reason, temp is 35 degrees.

I've maxed out the speed on MSI Afterburner. GPUZ says the speed is at 100%, but the fan isn't spinning that fast.

It seems that it is responding on a software level but not on a hardware level.
Then I'd say it's either a hardware fault or a software fault at such a low level that fixing it is too tough or maybe even impossible. You could try flashing the BIOS on the GPU, but I'll be honest and admit I don't know how to do that. I'm afraid you'll either have to live with the problem, or hope that someone more knowledgeable drops by here and helps you out. Sorry :(.

Nov 12, 2019
Hi there, I made a thread on this before, but it has disappeared.

For some reason, the fan on my MSI Nvidia GTX760 OC edition is going CRAZY.
Right now, the temperature is nominal, but it has revved up to 5500rpm for no reason.

I have tried wiping the drivers and reinstalling them.

I have downloaded MSI afterburner and reduced the fan speed to minimum, no effect.

I have also tried removing and reinstalling the card, to no avail.

Unless anyone can suggest anything, I am going to remove the fan, as it is very annoying!

Lutfij

Titan
Your threads never got removed, I just found them in the GPU section and since they were all on the same topic, I merged them. Please keep your thoughts on one thread to avoid people from getting spaghetti brains.

Now, to bring things back on track, please be advised that the fans are a means of mechanical cooling. Removing them without a replacement, will only result in an overheating issue and possible damage.

Solution